• Register Today It's free!

How many have had APIM replaced?

Bryan Neary

Reaction score
City, State
Saint John
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Has anyone else had failures on a 2018 Model?? Just above the 60,000 km warranty and NOT being covered. All out of pocket.

Please fill in your details:

1. 2018 XLT
2. 68,000 KMS
3. APIM Scheduled to be replaced
4. 68,000 KMS
5. Signs of a problem (Delayed screen)
6. Iphone
7. Currently scheduled for replacement
8. This will be the first replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Bryan.:wave:
I believe it has been a while since there has been a post regarding an APIM replacement. Being 8k over the warranty, you probably won't get any assistance from Ford. How much did the dealer quote you? This is why I always like to take out the ESP Warranty, just in case. If you have no further issues during ownership, your cost would likely be less than the warranty would have cost.

Peter

Had our 2017 Explorer Platinum APIM replaced early January 2020 around 25,000 miles.

Ford covered all of it under the bumper-to-bumper warrantee.

The problem we reported was that the WiFi would not connect to out wireless router to update. When it would connect, it would get about ½ way updated then disconnect. The dealership tried it with both of their WiFi systems and an employee mobile hot-spot. When none of the above connected, they decided to replace the APIM. After that, they were able to update the WiFi. It even seemed to update the screen display and maps. So far... it has been working like new.

My 2017 APIM was replaced at 9000 miles (very very early on). Took 9 trips to the dealership before they would swap it out. They would always reset firmware and "update" it and say it works great.

We had our APIM replaced 37,000 miles. (they did cover it under the bumper-to-bumper warranty) 2017 Explorer XLT These thing seem to have a fiarly high mortality rate . . .

.............. These thing seem to have a fiarly high mortality rate . . .
Not as bad as when the 5th gen first came out. They extended the warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Suspect bad APIM. Out of warranty. Purchased Explorer new. Trying to decide if going to dealer or replace myself.
Screen would periodically go blank... now permanently blank/black. Tried different resets, disconnect battery. Need to check the fuse.
1. 2018 XLT
2. 51,000 miles
3. APIM tbd
5. Black/blank screen
6. Iphone
7. schedule tbd
8. This would be the first replacement.

Replaced on my 2019 Taurus due to MAP update failure. They had to do it three times, Ford sent the wrong one to the dealer. Once the APIM locks up / or goes bad, have to replace and needs programing.

Back