New Guy looking to swap in a 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Guy looking to swap in a 4.0 sohc

dezertranger

Reaction score
City, State
long beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ranger
Hi, im new.
my name is marcel, i live in california and i have ford ranger.
ive been lurking at two old threads of the guys who swapped in a sohc 4.0 in place of a ohv 4.0 while using the ohv harnesses and computers
looking to hopefully get more info from them or others who have done the swap. links would be appreciated. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea how many miles it has. i have a OBD1 truck with a 5 digit odometer. im not worried about the trans. theres a c4 in my truck and i have the necessary flex plate to attach it to the SOHC.

Whats up! We see you have already found Brett's conversion thread

The wiring is pretty simple, the difference between a OHV and a SOHC is the cam sensor....most years of the OHV uses a cam synchro on the back of the engine, the SOHC has a single cam sensor on the valve cover

1993 Ranger is PERFECT for this as the 93 did not have a cam sensor unless it was CA emissions....does your 93 Ranger have a cam sensor on the back of the engine?

Reactions: imp

the computer is a manual computer that is tuned for the c4. the c4 is operated with a manual valve body. there are currently 0 wires going to my transmission and i have no check engine light.

Whats up! We see you have already found Brett's conversion thread

The wiring is pretty simple, the difference between a OHV and a SOHC is the cam sensor....most years of the OHV uses a cam synchro on the back of the engine, the SOHC has a single cam sensor on the valve cover

1993 Ranger is PERFECT for this as the 93 did not have a cam sensor unless it was CA emissions....does your 93 Ranger have a cam sensor on the back of the engine?
i dont believe it does, no. ill double check when i get off work. where would it be?

got the engine in. the oil pan DOES clear the lower engine cross member on a 93 2wd frame with autofab solid engine mounts.

Attachments

• 380ea6cbb06803d9b021817d588e67c4.jpg
    380ea6cbb06803d9b021817d588e67c4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 240

for anyone who cares, i started the truck today! thanks for all your help.

Back