Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
In my VIN on my White '97, which digit determines what engine came in the vehicle from the factory? And what does it say mine came with? Here is most of my VIN,1FMDU32E6VUA*****.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

8th character. E=SOHC V6

The date of manufacture will tell you whether you have a Job1 engine, or a Job2 engine. What year and model are you referring to?

It is a 1997 model manufactured on 9-1996. I originally needed to know what VIN because engine code "E" and "X" use different power steering pumps. By the way the 5.0 pump and Engine code "X" pump have the same part number. Also while I have been looking at door stickers and other info I found a sticker on the valve cover about the engine has a date of June 1998. Either the valve cover or engine has been swapped in its past. Whoever did it did a good job. Usually there will be something that tells you that it has been changed.
Also on the vehicle info sticker will it show if it were 2WD or 4wd originally?
VIN1.jpg

Sticker on valve cover
4x4sticker.jpg

1FMDU32E6VUA***** = SOHC V6

Here's some additional info.

• 1997-2003 is when the SOHC engine was used.
  • Starting with the 1997 model year, the Explorer gained a third engine. Ford introduced an overhead-cam version (SOHC) of the 4.0 L Cologne V6. Having the same displacement as the pushrod 4.0 L V6 OHV engine, the output of the SOHC was 210hp, rivaling the V8 engine’s output.
  • Two versions of the SOHC were manufactured: Job 1 and Job 2.
  • Job 1 engines were manufactured through 07/23/00. They have aluminum valve covers with the oil fill cap on the driver's side. They have a multi-piece intake manifold whose O-rings don’t last.
  • Job 2 engines were manufactured after 07/23/00 and have black plastic valve covers with the oil filler cap on the passenger side. They have a 1-piece intake manifold with better sealing O-rings, and the PCV valve is located at the rear of the driver's side valve cover.
  • Long blocks for Job 1 and Job 2 engines are interchangeable from 1998-2010.

Are the VIn E and Vin K blocks the same? The only difference being what's added to them? I thought they were and two people told me I was wrong.

Yes. X is a code for flex-fuel, but the engines are both the 4.0L SOHC.

Back