• Register Today It's free!

Buy back tips

Miranda123

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My car has been in the shop for 6 weeks off and on since September. The dealer asked me to call Ford to start the buy back process and to provide the lengthy list of things wrong and what they cant fix. They provided tips. Can anyone provide insight what to say or not to say. This is our 7th new Ford with the same dealer and our first time dealing with an issue. Do I be firm? will it be hard to do? Or will it just be a call center taking data to escalate?
Any insight would be appreciated. Ideally I want the exact same ST as I have now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your service manager is supporting the buy back. Just call ford and initiate the process. Ford will review your state lemon laws and the service info from your dealer. In my state tha law is 30 days out of service. If your has been in and out, that would restart the 30 each time. If 3 attempts have been completed with no resolve then that would supercede the 30 day time.
I can tell you that Ford Treated me very fair and that is why I bought another ST.

I don't recall who posted this excellent summary of the law. Hope he doesn't mind me reposting it.

Attachments

• Ford adheres to each of the 50 States Lemon Laws and does not deviate from those laws.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 363

My car has been in the shop for 6 weeks off and on since September. The dealer asked me to call Ford to start the buy back process and to provide the lengthy list of things wrong and what they cant fix. They provided tips. Can anyone provide insight what to say or not to say. This is our 7th new Ford with the same dealer and our first time dealing with an issue. Do I be firm? will it be hard to do? Or will it just be a call center taking data to escalate?
Any insight would be appreciated. Ideally I want the exact same ST as I have now.

The Rav dept at Ford has been terrible to work with on my case. They wont respond to emails or phone calls. My Explorer was eligible for buyback Feb.6. Was told by regional rep that process would take a few weeks. I had all the paperwork they requested emailed to them Feb 12. There has been No contact with the rav dept since then. They wont respond. My understanding that they are a contractor and not part of Ford. I contacted Fords regional rep about this and have not heard back from her either. They are really very unprofessional in this process.

The Rav dept at Ford has been terrible to work with on my case. They wont respond to emails or phone calls. My Explorer was eligible for buyback Feb.6. Was told by regional rep that process would take a few weeks. I had all the paperwork they requested emailed to them Feb 12. There has been No contact with the rav dept since then. They wont respond. My understanding that they are a contractor and not part of Ford. I contacted Fords regional rep about this and have not heard back from her either. They are really very unprofessional in this process.

What you need to do is this:

Call the Ford 800# back - but this time around do not plug your Regional CSR or RAV CSR extension into the phone. Either select 0 for the Operator OR make the selection from the menu IF it’s an option.

When you get the Operator, tell them you’re demanding to talk to a Ford Supervisor immediately as you are not getting any assistance or follow up from your CSR.

Explain that if you do not get any traction with regards to this very serious matter you will post your public frustration and how you are being treated on every single Ford Social Media account you can find. Then explain to them that you will also go to your local News Station’s “Investigative Team” that will make their problem and lack of customer support even more public than it needs to be, as you are extremely frustrated with the lack of assistance, concern and having bought a brand new Ford that turned out to be a Lemon.

You say you want the RAV Worksheet or paperwork due to you and a call within 1-2 Business days of your current phone call - or else you are proceeding with the necessary actions on your end so you can be made whole.

The QC at Ford lately sucks - and it’s not just seeing it here with a brand new model revision and release - how’d you like to be the guy who just purchased a brand new 2020 Shelby GT350R last week and the engine grenades within 720 miles and 3 days of ownership....

This article demonstrates that Ford has a problem with Warranty Repairs when the cost of such repairs drastically rose in 2019:
Ford COO Jim Farley: Tough road ahead but we know what to do

Yea, so there’s some major QC issues going on and I don’t see how any of it is “acceptable” to anyone over at Ford or their Customer base.

RAV is also a Contractor to Ford; they operate under “Concentrix” (see attached). They’re just a division set up for Ford as the “Re-Acquired Vehicle” department.

The process is horrible as you have experienced. The lack of call back, email or follow up by RAV is ignorance at best. When I went through the process with my prior 2016 S550 Mustang, I was the one doing all of the leg work. I was not backing down and kept calling emailing etc to get RAV to finalize all of the paperwork. I did the same as you, followed and abided by deadlines, sent or email all necessary paperwork, etc. I went through (3) CSR’s, (1) Ford Supervisor, (2) RAV Reps and finally a RAV Supervisor to get the necessary final resolution.

If you have supplied them with all of the necessary docs from your end - the next part in the process is they should have sent you a RAV Worksheet which contained figures as to either what is due back to you if getting a refund OR figures showing the swap of collateral IF you were turning in the Lemon for another new Ford.

How far did you get with RAV, did you get the returned worksheet yet?

Attachments

• Concentrix Buy Back process.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 363

What you need to do is this:

Call the Ford 800# back - but this time around do not plug your Regional CSR or RAV CSR extension into the phone. Either select 0 for the Operator OR make the selection from the menu IF it’s an option.

When you get the Operator, tell them you’re demanding to talk to a Ford Supervisor immediately as you are not getting any assistance or follow up from your CSR.

Explain that if you do not get any traction with regards to this very serious matter you will post your public frustration and how you are being treated on every single Ford Social Media account you can find. Then explain to them that you will also go to your local News Station’s “Investigative Team” that will make their problem and lack of customer support even more public than it needs to be, as you are extremely frustrated with the lack of assistance, concern and having bought a brand new Ford that turned out to be a Lemon.

You say you want the RAV Worksheet or paperwork due to you and a call within 1-2 Business days of your current phone call - or else you are proceeding with the necessary actions on your end so you can be made whole.

The QC at Ford lately sucks - and it’s not just seeing it here with a brand new model revision and release - how’d you like to be the guy who just purchased a brand new 2020 Shelby GT350R last week and the engine grenades within 720 miles and 3 days of ownership....

This article demonstrates that Ford has a problem with Warranty Repairs when the cost of such repairs drastically rose in 2019:
Ford COO Jim Farley: Tough road ahead but we know what to do

Yea, so there’s some major QC issues going on and I don’t see how any of it is “acceptable” to anyone over at Ford or their Customer base.

RAV is also a Contractor to Ford; they operate under “Concentrix” (see attached). They’re just a division set up for Ford as the “Re-Acquired Vehicle” department.

The process is horrible as you have experienced. The lack of call back, email or follow up by RAV is ignorance at best. When I went through the process with my prior 2016 S550 Mustang, I was the one doing all of the leg work. I was not backing down and kept calling emailing etc to get RAV to finalize all of the paperwork. I did the same as you, followed and abided by deadlines, sent or email all necessary paperwork, etc. I went through (3) CSR’s, (1) Ford Supervisor, (2) RAV Reps and finally a RAV Supervisor to get the necessary final resolution.

If you have supplied them with all of the necessary docs from your end - the next part in the process is they should have sent you a RAV Worksheet which contained figures as to either what is due back to you if getting a refund OR figures showing the swap of collateral IF you were turning in the Lemon for another new Ford.

How far did you get with RAV, did you get the returned worksheet yet?

I have gotten NOTHING from RAV. Not even a return call.

@DrewsnewPlatinum

From what you've written, since it sounds like the the Regional Manager at FORD at least got the process with RAV started, provide him an update and politely inform him that this is your next step - State of Missouri Consumer Protection Division

Link: State of Missouri Consumer Protection Division

Hope that helps -

I recently had a buyback experience with my 2019 F-150. I bought the truck brand new from the Ford dealer on 8/16/2019. Within 24 hours of purchasing the truck I noticed several paint defects including small dots of primer showing thru the paint and specs of welding material that was painted over. I had taken the truck back on 8/17 and pointed out the issues to the sales and service managers. They took photos of the spots and said to just watch them and if it gets worse let them know. 3 weeks later a piece of paint flaked off by the antenna and I just thought it was a fluke and had it touched up. 2 months ago there was a nickel size spot on the hood I thought was bird droppings. Nope, The paint just started flaking off the hood. I had two different Ford dealers look at it and they found 6 different panels with factory paint defects and said the only way to fix it was to repaint the entire truck but the finished product would never match OEM standards due to the facilities available in Idaho. At first Ford was moving the buyback process along quickly then the issues came up with the CEO and I was told buyback's were halted unless it's a major safety problem. The only thing Ford offered was some financial help having the hood and fender resprayed.

I recently had a buyback experience with my 2019 F-150. I bought the truck brand new from the Ford dealer on 8/16/2019. Within 24 hours of purchasing the truck I noticed several paint defects including small dots of primer showing thru the paint and specs of welding material that was painted over. I had taken the truck back on 8/17 and pointed out the issues to the sales and service managers. They took photos of the spots and said to just watch them and if it gets worse let them know. 3 weeks later a piece of paint flaked off by the antenna and I just thought it was a fluke and had it touched up. 2 months ago there was a nickel size spot on the hood I thought was bird droppings. Nope, The paint just started flaking off the hood. I had two different Ford dealers look at it and they found 6 different panels with factory paint defects and said the only way to fix it was to repaint the entire truck but the finished product would never match OEM standards due to the facilities available in Idaho. At first Ford was moving the buyback process along quickly then the issues came up with the CEO and I was told buyback's were halted unless it's a major safety problem. The only thing Ford offered was some financial help having the hood and fender resprayed.
A good body shop will give you a finish better than factory. I was in auto body for decades. The product and equipment they have now is producing impeccable work.

Dealership gives you like 7 days. If you see something from with paint or scratches, they will fix it.

I've got to ask, where do all the buy back cars go? Is there some type of buy back purgatory? Or do they "fix" them and put on the used market? If you're going the buy back route please share the last 6 of the VIN. Thanks and good luck.

I've got to ask, where do all the buy back cars go? Is there some type of buy back purgatory? Or do they "fix" them and put on the used market? If you're going the buy back route please share the last 6 of the VIN. Thanks and good luck.

If you really want to know....

As far as where the RAV vehicles go, this is what happens.

The vehicle is flagged by VIN as a Lemon and that label will follow the car through its life. This labeling affects resale values, will show on any vehicle VIN report and could also affect Insurance quotes. The VIN if searched in Ford OASIS will show it’s a Lemon and was a Buy Back.

If a Ford Buy Back occurs in a State where a vehicle and its title are branded a Lemon, some States will not allow the resale of a Lemon by law.

Ford’s way around this is to use a closed auction process - pick up the vehicle, move it to a State where it can be resold, repair it and throw it on a Ford Dealer lot. After a Lemon is initially taken back, is when it goes to auction, but must be bought by a buyer from a different State IF it cannot be sold in a State that prohibits the sale or resale of a Lemon’d vehicle.

For those that don’t know, Ford also gives the Dealership who is facilitating the initial Lemon transaction money for taking the collateral back.

1585490241667.jpeg

and all Ford RAV vehicles will have a decal affixed to the Driver Side B-pillar that is mounted below the common VCL that states the vehicle was a RAV Buy Back. Any RAV Buy Back has to be disclosed in any advertisement of that vehicle and to a potential buyer of that vehicle by any Ford Franchise.

Ford RAVs do come with a 12/12k warranty (whichever comes first and it’s not a full blown warranty like the original 3/36 BtoB).

Do you really think Ford is losing money on RAV Buy Backs? Nope.

Note:
**For those who need to know - the info comes directly from the Ford Warranty & Policy Manual available to Ford Dealerships.

This info is also readily available online posted by many who have actually gone through a Ford Buy Back; RAV also sends the Owner who is going through a Buy Back a package with documents. This isn’t “new” news and Buy Backs have been prevalent within Ford for YEARS.

Attachments

• RAV Disclosure 4 decal.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 146
  • RAV Disclosure 1.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 123

If you really want to know....

As far as where the RAV vehicles go, this is what happens.

The vehicle is flagged by VIN as a Lemon and that label will follow the car through its life. This labeling affects resale values, will show on any vehicle VIN report and could also affect Insurance quotes. The VIN if searched in Ford OASIS will show it’s a Lemon and was a Buy Back.

If a Ford Buy Back occurs in a State where a vehicle and its title are branded a Lemon, some States will not allow the resale of a Lemon by law.

Ford’s way around this is to use a closed auction process - pick up the vehicle, move it to a State where it can be resold, repair it and throw it on a Ford Dealer lot. After a Lemon is initially taken back, is when it goes to auction, but must be bought by a buyer from a different State IF it cannot be sold in a State that prohibits the sale or resale of a Lemon’d vehicle.

For those that don’t know, Ford also gives the Dealership who is facilitating the initial Lemon transaction money for taking the collateral back.

View attachment 179791

and all Ford RAV vehicles will have a decal affixed to the Driver Side B-pillar that is mounted below the common VCL that states the vehicle was a RAV Buy Back. Any RAV Buy Back has to be disclosed in any advertisement of that vehicle and to a potential buyer of that vehicle by any Ford Franchise.

Ford RAVs do come with a 12/12k warranty (whichever comes first and it’s not a full blown warranty like the original 3/36 BtoB).

Do you really think Ford is losing money on RAV Buy Backs? Nope.

Note:
**For those who need to know - the info comes directly from the Ford Warranty & Policy Manual available to Ford Dealerships.

This info is also readily available online posted by many who have actually gone through a Ford Buy Back; RAV also sends the Owner who is going through a Buy Back a package with documents. This isn’t “new” news and Buy Backs have been prevalent within Ford for YEARS.

Thanks CJ. Again, buyer beware. If you think you are getting a rockin deal on a 2020 ST need to investigate history. Great info.

This is so true. On wednesday, after almost 8 hrs of back and forth with Ford Corporate and signing untold documents, I said good by to the jr titanic. Ford will not admit culpability. Amongst all the documentation was a release from liability form. Once signed, the signee (in this case me) releases FoMoCo from any kind of litigation, monetary, etc. This past Saturday, the dealer moved the Magnetic ST to their used car lot. There were several people looking it over as I retrieved the last few items I'd forgotten when I transfered my belongings Thursday morning. Damn good thing I did. It was sold that Sat afternoon. The issue was the panoramic moonroof. The new one does not have one.
clapping%20smilie.gif
Otoh, the new one needs a new driver side sun visor. :rolleyes: Oh well, if that is the worst issue ever have with this one, I'm blessed. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BB units get picked up & go back to ford where familiarized competent techs refurbish the unit. Then it goes to auction. Warranty intact. Priced right. Hot commodity among dealers in the circle. This is what I was told by iconic long time dealer.

Back