1191 Explorer problems with OD and 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1191 Explorer problems with OD and 4WD

StacyRose

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
We purchased a 1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 at a farm auction for cheap, the engine is great, but it has some other problems, the worst of which are no overdrive and no 4WD.

Please note, we are mechanically challenged (but learning!) have a good manual, and not all all afraid of getting our hands dirty.

When we first bought the vehicle the OD worked well, we'd had it on the road about a month when very suddenly it wouldn't engage in any gear, except reverse. We changed the transmission filter, gasket, and fluid with good results-the gears all engage well now, except OD. I've checked the archives, but nothing really fit our situation. The u-joints do need replacing (we're doing them this weekend-with help from a friend) would this have anything to do with the OD? Or is the tranny just on it's way out? Is there any band-aid we could apply to get by for a few months?

Now to the 4WD--the dash switch doesn't work at all, no click, light, nada. I read online that there is a motor that is run by the dash button, is that the same motor that is on the transfer case, or something different? We've checked the fuses in the fuse box and they all seem fine.

We don't really want to scrap this vehicle--like I said the engine runs like a top. The odometer says 65,631 miles but based on the body condition it has probably rolled over. Is it even worth fixing, or should we sell it for parts? We did get it cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stacy in NY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know of alot of tranny that keep on rolling long after the the o/d quit.Does it shift smooth or hard.The switch up on the dash could be out,if it is they are on ebay all the time for cheap.

It seems to be shifting smoothly, but it's kinda hard to tell right now because the u-joints are so bad.

The dash switch might be the only thing wrong with the 4WD? We have no lights, or anything so that makes sense. Is there a part number, or is just called a dash switch?

Thank you very much!

Stacy in NY

Yeah the dash switch controls the transfer case motor.Make sure when you change the u-joints mark the driveshaft and put it back in the same way you took it out.Did you take the switch out and make sure it is plugged in?

od problem

When my OD went out, the OD synchro cover blew off going down the road. I believe the synchro went bad. I had a CEL (actually a flashing OD off light) saying that the gear ratio for OD was incorrect. I believe the synchro or bands went bad for OD. ALthough i did drive it for a couple months like this, it did cause wear inside the tranny and i needed to replace the whole thing

If you do decide to part it you can make some pretty good money off it:D

No, we haven't looked at the switch yet--we didn't know it existed! (big grin) We'll check that out next.

Where's the best place to advertise if we decide to part it? We're not throwing in the towel yet tho...

There aren't any lights indicating the OD isn't working, it just won't shift into OD.

Thank you so much for your help.

Stacy in NY

Welcome to the site Stacey.... The problem w/the tranny could be as simple as a bad modulator valve. I would recommend reading thru the site I'm attaching. Lots of great maintenance tips for older Explorers. Bookmark it, cause it will come in handy. It also has troubleshooting for the T/F case. There is a relay box in the back of the Ex that you need to test for the 4X4.

Good Luck!Dead Link Removed

If you push the 4x4 button and nothing happens it is most likely a bad electric shift motor mounte don the T case. They get old and the rubber piece inside it falls apart, it then lets in dirt and water until the contacts inside no longer make contact. You can rebuild the motor yourself for free, clean it all up and use some silicoln to seal it up. I have rebuilt three of these baby's, and all work perfect. Just be sure to mark the casing before you take it apart, they are adjustable so you want to put it back together in the same position. this will make sense when you have the unit in front of you. There are also detailed instructions with photos on how to do this, just do a search.

If you push the button and it flashes but does not stay on then it is probably the auto hub, but it sounds to me like the classis electric shift motor failure. Ford gets $300+ for these baby's, they are a hot item. It figures the one on my 88 BII has over 230K miles on it (well the truck, who knows how many times I've shifted into 4x4) and my shift motor still works perfect, the three I have rebuilt have been on full size Bronco's and Explorer's...

Hope that helps, oh and if you decide to just buy a new one, I'll buy your old one from ya!!!! I need a trail spare.....

Oh and before you go and do all this make sure to check the electric shift fuse.....

99% of the time it's the shift motor.....

410Fortune---

Well, what's a 1991 Explorer that's 4WD, OD, A/C is not working with a fair to rough body, but great running engine worth to you? It passed NYS inspection last week. Has new tires...

We bought this for my 18 year old daughter, but I'm not sure if we want the hassle of fixing it anymore.

Stacy in NY

To me it's worht it's weight in Gold.

You see my 88 BII has 230K miles on her and I have driven it every day for 6 years, so it's worth a lot.

If I lived on the East coast I would make you an offer, my friend and I are looking for a good project truck to build into a serious rock crawler....

A 91 in that shape around here is worth about $1000, any running 4x4 in CO is worth $1000. It will cost $1500 to get a new tranny rebuild if you do the labor yourself....

so I would say it's worth anywhere between $200 and $1500...

You can part it out as well, if the glass.lights, interior, axles, etc are in good shape you can make some $$$$, especially from the scavengers on this board, it's just a hassle to have 1/2 an Explorer in your yard and to be constantly pulling parts from it, shipping, and getting $$$....

If you do decide to part it out, you can make some decent $ from it on here. We had a '92 that was rolled over in January '01, and I made about $3500 selling the parts. The only body panel that I sold was the hood, so the rest was in mechanical parts, glass, and interior components. It took me about 5 months to sell all the parts before the rest went to the scrap heap. I probably sold parts to 30-40 people here, and only had problems in dealing with one and he no longer frequents the board (at least not under his original name, MrBean972).

Wow, I had no idea that it was worth so much in parts! The interior is great (except the arm rest thing), the tires are almost brand new, the glass is good, except the windshield has a small pit near the bottom. For the most part the exterior is good, just a rust problem around the gas door, and a dent in the passenger fender. The engine is excellent. We're having a friend check it out this weekend when we replace the u-joints, but it's real nice to know that there are options. For sh*ts and giggles, I called an auto recycling place yesterday and they said $300 tops--they're making a killing!

We have a small farm (113 acres-I raise horses) so putting it somewhere while we pick it's bones is no problem.

I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me--you're good people!

Thanks again,

Stacy in NY

Back