Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Well Bill (RangerX) helped me put on some 'new' shocks today. The fronts are Rancho 9000's for a 2" lift, 6k miles on them. The rears are Superlift's for a 4" lift, new.

I really like the Ranchos, they'll help my droop out a lot without hurting wheel stuff. I also like the adjustability. The Superlifts are a little softer than my Gabriels, and we had to put in longer bumpstops. But now my rear tires can droop about 3 more inches.

All in all it was fairly easy. However in the rear we had to drop the spare, and work around a mysterious black box. For those with 95+ X's, what the hell is that black box under the body, but above the spare tire on the driver side? There's a steel mounting plate, some lines (look like fuel) and other stuff going to it. To quote Bill Murray, "What the hell is that thing?!"

Back to the shocks, I really liked my Gabriels and they were still great after 35k miles, just too short. I have a bit more body roll now in the rear with softer shocks and no rear swaybar. But overall handling is still very good and firm. The ride's probably better for rear passengers, not that I have many. Anyway, I'm happy. Thanks Bill and Dave!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "black box" you speak of is the charcoal canister I believe.

3 more inches of droop? Good stuff.

jason 25 is right. That is your charcoal canister. If you don't already know, it is part of your emissions control system. It stores excess gas fumes untill they can be burned- instead of releasing them to the atmosphere. Its either that,or the black box the government uses to track your movements.

Strange that it's in the back of the truck, but I was wondering where that thing was ;)

Thanks!

BTW, the shocks are great, had 'em for a few days now.

Alec, your front shocks were only an option because you are a 2 wheel drive right? I am wondering because I thought we had to modify our shocks to actually fit the TT. I didn't think there were any shocks that are a bolt on option.

Dunno if the driveshafts would interfere with the new shocks. My stock length Gabriels worked well for a few years, they're just too short though.

Originally posted by mosinman
Its either that,or the black box the government uses to track your movements.

LOL :D

Back