RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

Any new information?

It's been awhile...anything new to report?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

opps, double post

Don't worry, this project definately hasn't stalled. I can't give a date cause our marketing guys will kill me if I do and it changes but, I'd guess there's still a good chance we'll hold that August date....

Khris

Oh BTW, I'm 99.999999% sure we won't be using that hoop that is bracing the upper shock mounts in the pictures. We're going to be using these weld in braces that actually look like little gas pedals. They take up less room and will be just as strong if not stronger.

hrmm cool. now the lower shock mount is still bolt onto the lower control arm or weld on also? who makes the coil springs?
RCDRanger9.jpg

Don't I take pretty pictures? I wish I would have taken about 500 more at the time. From what I know, it will still be bolt on. But only Khris or RCD can really answer that.

--Sean

Yep nice pics...... I dont mind the weld on shock mounts at all. I would think it would make the mounts stronger.

umm question. since SOA is in order.... who makes traction bars for a explorer to prevent axle wrap? The RCD ranger ones prolly dont fit and hang kinna lowas it is. But sure do look good. Hehe maybe they will cut the rocks. :D

What are the measurements for the spindle that comes with this kit? Is it stock size? Does it provide a 3" lift? THe reason i'm asking is because i want to adapt this kit with my 3" spindle.

-Ray

Hey guys, I havn't heard anything different on the lower shock mounts and the ones I have on the prototype kit that everything is being based on identicle to the ones in that picture and they are bolt on.

I'm sure you could get our traction bars to fit but there are others on the market I'm sure. I think ours wouldn't be too good in the rocks because they are kinda thin. You would definately dent and beat them up. I've got a friend that would custom build a KILLER set for I think $450.

As for the spindles, I'm not sure how much lift ours are providing. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow. Also I don't know who is doing the coils. I think that is a Bilstein thing. I'm pretty sure we are buying the coilover all assembled and just packaging them with the kit. The coilover valving and spring rate was all done by Bilstein.

If any of you are in San Diego that truck is almost always at Bilstein in Poway if you want to check it out.

Khris

Originally posted by sirhk100
If any of you are in San Diego that truck is almost always at Bilstein in Poway if you want to check it out.

Khris

How about directions Khris. J/K.:p I'm sure you probably don't have all the details yet but I'll ask anyways. Any idea if the coilover kit will be available without buying the lift? Thanks.

i just hope that it will be possible to get just the front end part of the kit. any ideas on this?

Didn't get a chance to ask about the spindle lift question.

As for buying just part of the kit, I doubt it, at least right now. You may be able to convince a local dealer to push and push to get us to split a kit. It's not my decision at all though so I can't really say.

As for using the coilovers w/o the lift. Off the top of my head I don't see why you couldn't. The lower mount just bolts onto the stock lower control arm and the upper goes right into the stock upper shock mount with some supports that (will probably) be welded in. I think the lift is all acheived with the drop brackets and spindles. The only thing I can think that would maybe cause problems is that the coilovers may be longer and that may cause some lift. I havn't actually spent a lot of time around the Bilstein truck which is the only one with a complete kit on it. That is actually Bilsteins truck that they use for tuning shocks on location. It's usually at Bilstein in Poway (san diego county) right off Scripps-Poway Parkway. You can't miss Bilstein, exit off I15 and head east. It's about 4-5 miles down on the right. The truck is usually around back during work hours. You could probably call to see if it's there ahead of time.

Khris

Yeah. I was thinking, can you just take our your torsion bars and just replace it with coilovers if you put the bottom mounts in. Would that work?

Thanks for the response Khris. I was actually hoping to use the c/o kit to gain a couple inches of lift. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I'm not sure the cv joints would be happy with that.

Im just very curious of why one would invest all that cash into that kit, when all it does is lift the truck without the t-bars, it doesnt strengthen the cv joints, or the drivetrain, I put my truck to the test when I go wheelin, I go extreme all out rock crawling, and its not the t-bars that im worried about, its the cv joints and other suspension parts up front that give me some concern.... So why not just take that money and do a solid axle swap.... you get a hell of a lot more for the cash, suspension, and drivetrain wise, and a much safer lift.

You do have a good point Chris. But the main thing i see wrong with the SAS is the huge amount of lift. I know that people always say that you'll want to go bigger, but that's alot of money, probably more then this kit once you do all the fab work, axles, shop labor (or your time), and huge tires just to get a list started. This kit would be perfect for the majority of the this board, including myself. I don't do near as much rock crawling as you do. I love trails and the occasional patch of mud. I've not seen a CV shaft tear up from wheeling although i know it would be very easy. I don't hate my torsion bars but i'd like to get rid of them for the extra ground clearance in the middle. But you did have a good point Chris.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by lizardtrac
Im just very curious of why one would invest all that cash into that kit, when all it does is lift the truck without the t-bars, it doesnt strengthen the cv joints, or the drivetrain, I put my truck to the test when I go wheelin, I go extreme all out rock crawling, and its not the t-bars that im worried about, its the cv joints and other suspension parts up front that give me some concern.... So why not just take that money and do a solid axle swap.... you get a hell of a lot more for the cash, suspension, and drivetrain wise, and a much safer lift.
I agree totally. The suspension looks great though! But the front end drivet train totally sucks.....I guess if you're into doing "a little bit of everything" with your truck this is for you.

Originally posted by lizardtrac
So why not just take that money and do a solid axle swap.... you get a hell of a lot more for the cash, suspension, and drivetrain wise, and a much safer lift.

I agree but my '01 is my daily driver and I already have an '83 slated for a SAS. I'm just looking at ways that I can gain an inch and a half of lift, other than TT, and I like the fact you can customize c/o's to your specs for the ride you want.

Well, I am getting the RCD kit to increase my approach, departure, and breakover angles, get rid of those crappy, low hanging t-bars, and improve my spring/shock setup. It'll also remove the slight rubbing I have now with the 33s. While the solid axle is a great choice for off-roading, I feel the RCD kit is a better option for a daily driver and the weekend warrior who wants a truck that can be decent at everything. I also think that a SAS on a SLA truck would require more lift than I want. And Ford is less likely to mess with me during the warrenty period if I don't have a new axle welded under the front of my truck. ;) At least my dealer is cool about bolt on kits.

-Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back