Right turns causing radio to short, antenna to go up and down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right turns causing radio to short, antenna to go up and down

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Limited
This is a frustrating one and I'm not sure where to start looking on this.

As the title states, whenever I do a right turn above about 15 mph with the radio on (radio including CD or tape) the power on the radio shuts completely off and the antenna starts to retract. Once the turn is complete the antenna extends and the radio turns back on, but the time then reads 12:00. It doesn't happen on left-hand turns, though. If the radio is off, then when I do a right turn the antenna starts to extend. When the turns is complete the radio is back to 12:00 and the antenna retracts.

I'm not very knowledgeable under the hood but I can follow instructions and theories with the best of them. What item could be shorting out on right-hand turns that could cause this? Might it be something in the power antenna, since it happens when the radio is off? I like my music and would hate to have to avoid right-hand turns except for midnight and noon each day.

Any ideas, theories, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck and it pains me when there is something wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, another Oregonian, welcome to the site!!

I think one thing you mentioned is important, the clock resets to 12:00. This means you are losing all power to the radio, which explains why the antenna goes down.

Can you get it to do it while parked? If so, I'd think it's something to do with the steering rubbing on wires. If it's an aftermarket radio, maybe they ran the wires over your steering shaft under the dash and it's worn through.

If you can't get it to do it when parked, maybe it's more likely caused by the centrifugal force when you turn?

I'm sure there will be someone here that can help you with the problem if I haven't helped you out.
Good luck and try to keep cool today. Hey, go out in 20 minutes and turn right to set your clock, kidding.... :)

Thanks for replying. The radio that's in there now is the stock system (5 speakers, CD-changer, etc) and when turning the wheels completely to the right during a slow roll in reverse it doesn't give me the problem, so I'm betting as well that it has to do with centrifugal (did I spel that rite?) force probably shorting something out in there somewhere. I just don't know where to start looking.

Hey, good idea about going out and setting the clock. I'll do that as soon as...awe damn. 12:03. ;)

It could be as simple as the plug in the back of the unit isn't snapped all the way in. Here's what I'd do:

Turn the key on ACC and get the radio on. Now see if you can reach up under the dashboard and gently move any and all wires around and see if you can get it to quit working (sorry but mine is a newer one and I know how to get to the radio in it, not yours).

Another thought, I have heard of fuses that are almost blown and can still conduct unless they are tapped on or whatever. Try to eliminate that possibility by replacing the fuse with a new one. Intermittent electrical problems can be really tuff, it's always a process of elimination. The key to getting it resolved is if you can get it to die when you want, then you know you are in the right area.

P.S. I didn't ask, but I'm assuming you are having no other electrical "gremlins" going on, like lights that go on and off whenver they want, are you?

Update!

A couple nights ago I ripped the fuse panel off and pulled the 10 am fuse out of slot 29 and took a look at it. Looked great, but for giggles I swapped it with a fresh 10 amp.

So far my wife and I have driven all over the place, including sweeping right-hand turns that used to (foreshadowing!) tweak the radio out and I've had NO problems whatsoever.

Technically the problem is resolved but I don't understand why this would fix the problem. I still think that something is possibly grounding out in the truck somewhere and that this may have screwed up the last fuse, and that this might be a temporary fix. I'll have to think about it more.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Put the old fuse back in, see if the problem comes back. If it does, put the new fuse back in and you've solved the problem.

Good luck!

P.S. Do this at exactly noon today, you won't have to reset the clock again... :)

I'll put the old fuse back in tonight and see if it makes a difference. If it goes back to the same problem then I'll put the new one back in and continue to wonder why a right-hand turn would affect that fuse(?)

I'm not worried about the clock reset thing. I'm getting damned good at resetting the clock lately, being able to do it now with one hand while driving. Gotta make sure that I'm not chewing gum, though. That could be fatal.

Good to see people of my kind. :eek:

I spoke too soon. The problem returned last night. If I'm not fishing this weekend I'll check out what I can about the antenna. I've got a feeling it's in there.

I still think it's the main power to the radio because you say the clock needs to be reset each time. Also, mine has (3) fuses for the radio, two of them are 7.5 amps and one is 25 amps. Are you noticing anything else, like do you have memory seats that forget? My radio "memory" power (hot all the time) is from the 25 amp fuse. I'm sure we have different wiring, but my "memory" fuse is also fuse #29, but it's 25 amps instead of your 10 amp. Hey, anyone out there have a '96 that can help here??

Keep working with it, I don't want to see a '96 Limited turning only left (ha, unless you're a NASCAR fan!) :)

Definitely sounds like you are losing the main power to your deck. This is most likely one of two things. 1) Power wire is being grounded out or 2) power wire is losing connection, i.e. being severed.

However, if the power wire was being grounded, you would likely end up with a blown fuse, so #2 sounds more probable.

Also, I think it might be the centrifugal force. Does it happen when you turn full right and go slow? Or is it when you have more speed? (Which would indicate that it's centrifugal force).

I'm not sure about the wires rubbing on the steering column, because i don't think the wiring bunded for the stereo wires is in contact with the steering column in any way. If i am wrong, someone mention it!

It it were my stereo, i would pull it out of the deck and make sure all the wiring harnesses are free of obstructions. Also check the wires as far into your dash a possible. Unplug them from the stereo, and put them back in, while being very carefull not to pull any wires out of the harnesses.

What do you think ppl, anyone want to expand on these ideas?

Update time...

Saturday afternoon I climbed in and pulled out the head unit to make sure that the connections were looking good. They were. Attached tightly. I even jerked the HU around quite a bit to see if I could get the problem to happen. It didn't. Then I took my hand back into the wiring behind the deck and batted that around a bit. Again, nothing. I reinstalled the deck and while driving it still happens.

My next stop is to go to the parts store and get one of those star wrench sets that I need to take the antenna off. I'll take it off completely and then go on some right-turn rampages to see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'll reattach the antenna and cry. If not, then I'll keep on driving for awhile and see if the problem goes away permanently, which would mean that it's an antenna problem.

The thing that baffles me most is that the problem exists when the radio is off, as mentioned above. The antenna will start motoring out during a right turn, and then go back when I straighten out. Hopefully it's the antenna, if only so that I know what it is.

Well.. that gives me some thoughts...

The stereo has a wire that goes to the antenna mechanism to tell it to go up when you turn the stereo on. Maybe this wire is shorting out?

It doens't make a whole lot of sense tho because it still happens when the stereo is off.

I don't know if the antenna wire being shorted out could caused the radio to go dead.

Question, when the radio is on, and you turn, does the antenna start going down, and the stereo turn off as soon as the antenna starts going down? And then does the radio come back on and the antenna go up when the you are done turning?

I would definitely check the antenna mechanism and all its wires to make sure nothing is shorting there.

It's tough to say which happens first, either the loss of radio or the retraction of the antenna. Seems simultaneous really.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get out to Knecht's and pick up some star wrenches.

from my rudimentary physics

There's no such thing as centrifugal force. There's centripetal force which is the force towards the center or axis of an object, but centrifugal is one of those terms that has infiltrated everyday speak (kinda like chaos theory which in reality is more akin to string theory), but is not scientifically plausible because if the centripetal force doesn't exist, the the real direction of force is tangential.
Gosh my mind has an endless capacity for useless information........and a knack for being wrong. If I changed the direction fo this thread, I apologize. Just up way too late tonight.

Sorry I can't be more useful with your power question though.......Good luck! BTW, is it still under warranty?
Karl

I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to explain to my rig that centrifugal force did not, in fact, exist and therefore the problems it were experiencing were most likely to be psychosomatic. First right-hand turn I came to? Same problem. This is going to be harder than I thought. ;)

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get the star keys bought until Friday. Those of you who are hanging on the edge of your seat will have to wait until then.

Since the antenna will extend with the radio off while in the right hand turn that would mean power would have to bypass the radio and go to the antenna. My assumption would be that you have the power wire of the antenna touching a wire that is hot. I am not very good at electrical stuff but I would check the power wire from its original source, the deck, all the way to the antenna. That would probably mean following through the firewall and throught the fender.

That's what I'm thinking as well, countrymz. Hopefully I'll be able to have the truck to myself this weekend at least one of the days so that I can try and find the problem myself.

Do any of you know whether I would have to remove the fender itself to trace this wiring? I've got a good collection of basic tools, so if that's what I have to do and that's all it takes then I should be set.

Make sure to check the fuse panel for a good "tight" connection around the radio fuse. I played with my radio fuse too much (using a fuse tap), and I had to bend the panel connections back in toward each other because every time I went over a bump the radio would turn off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked under the hood to see if you can visually see the wires running? I'm thinking you should look behind the radio again by taking the center bezel out, maybe taking out the glove box too. If you can, possibly the liner of the wheel well would show you more. I wouldn't fool with taking a fender off. I wouldn't rule out what Jason_25 said though since I think most of the late body explorers fuse box is between the door and the dash, going right would force the fuse to the left, or out of the slots. Always start with the easiest things first and don't jump to conclusions.

Back