• Register Today It's free!

35's on a 98 EB??? Possible?!

debutis

Reaction score
City, State
austin, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eddie bauer
I've just come across a great deal on some 35" TSL thornbirds with rims and have been looking at lifting my 98 EB for quite some time now. I was wondering if its possible to lift a 98 EB high enough to fit 35's while not getting into suspension lift. Is it possible to fit 35s with TT, shackles, body lift etc? Need to know asap so I can get the tires if I could work something out.
Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well technically the tt/shackle lift is a suspension lift, I guess you mean you don't want one of the 4" kits.

Well, with the 2" TT/sh + 3" body you'd still need to trim a bunch. You could go higher in the rear with addaleafs, different leaves, soa, etc; the front is the hard part with the ifs. A few members have cranked their torsion bars higher than 2" (as much as 5") and they say it's fine, but you'll get a very stiff ride, little wheel travel, and wear out your cv joints. If you had a 2wd you could do lift spindles in the front.

But basically with the 2" + 3" lift, you're looking at becoming good friends with the grinder and sawzall, but it can be done. Hmmm, with Perry's fenders it is very possible.

look at lizardtrac's truck..... 35's on 98 sport with tt and soa and b/l

Alec,
I definately have no problem with the tt/shackles as its only about 60 bucks from what i've heard.. I just dont wanna shell out 1700 bucks for a 4" suspension lift if it can be done for cheaper. It is 4wd so the spindles up front wont work. I hear tho that most people only get about 1.25-1.5" of lift with the torsion twist.. Is this due to the torsion bolt running out of threads and not being able to tighten anymore or is it because of the cv joints at such a bad angle they don't want to lift it anymore. The 3" body lift and 2" tt/shackles, how would this work with 33x12.50s? With the 33s would I still have to grind and cut much? If at all possible tho I would love to run the 35s!! How much would I be looking at trimming? These perry fenders you speak of, where can I take a look at them? How much trimming would I have to do with them and without them?
Thanks in advance

Oh yes, Forgot to mention on the SOA. Not really familiar with this. What exactly is an SOA and what is required to do this? While i'm on the this note, say I was able to fit 35's with some mods like bl, tt/shackles and whatever else it takes for a small amount of $$ while still be safe and operable. What else would I have to do? Would I need extensions for the e brake etc? Would I need new shocks? What other items would I have to get to rig this puppy up and watch her fly through the mud?
Thanks in advance

Shocks would be a good idea. With the SOA, you'd need brakelines, but not with just the 2" + 3". The SOA: spring over axle. This means you'd relocate your rear axle to be under the leafsprings instead of over (as stock).

Like I said, the front is the hard part. If you did the SOA, you'd most likely have a 2-3" difference between the front and rear (rear higher). Also, the front most of the time is the hard end to fit tires anyway. Perry's fenders: www.perrysfabandfiber.com . Many members have them, including Rick. With those and 2" + 3", you should only need some minor trimming for the 35s.

Hmmm, this is sounding good.. The link that you posted however doesn't work, i'll do a search on it. So with the SOA, how much work is it and what extra parts would I have to get? For now, since i'm kinda low on cash, would the stock shocks work? Would I have to get some lengthed shocks? Do you think with all this lift i'm going to have to extend the brake lines or anything else?
Once again,
Thanks in advance

Oh yes, forgot to mention. With these big a tires, will I have to run new gears? Right now in my EB i THINK! and again i say I think! that I have the 3.73s stock.. Anyway I could check this and make sure? If this is infact the case will I need new gears? I have no engine mods currently...

Yep, with 35s will will definately need to regear.

Welcome to the lift bug! You will find their is no cheap way of doing it.

Robb

With the SOA, again you'd need shocks and brakelines. With the 2" susp only, you could get by with stock shocks for now, but would eventually want longer ones or extenders. Gears: you'd want new ones with 35s, the 3.73 is doable with 33. And the 33s fit well with the 2" +3" without much trimming at all.

The SOA usually costs about $60-100 for parts, then it's suggested it be professionally welded and finished.

Oh, perrys is www.perrysfabnfiber.com I may be getting a set soon also.

with the SOA you dont have to exten your bake lines... you can take the tab that the block is on and move it up... even with a 6" lift kit the rear line is only about an inh longer... you will gain that if not more by relocating the block.... but even with the TT cranked the whole way your still gonna have a rake.... but 35's are doable this way.

fiberglass fenders is a great way to go, i have perrys fenders up front and i fit 33's with a 3'' bl, 2'' TT no problem. next set of tires i get i will prolly get 35's because they should fit no problem up front and in the back you will need to do a little trimming but no TOO too much. if you want pics of the fiberglass fenders i have a bunch in the link in my sig.

If you decide against the fenders and want to see just how much you need to trim, check out Jefe's and what he had to do to fit 35's.

Just to let you know, Thornbirds suck!

If you're gonna go swamper, get a real swamper like a TSL.

How good of a deal are you getting on these Thornbirds and rims and are they 35x12.50 or 35x14.50? The 14.50's will be harder to fit.

Ryan

you dont need new shocks in the rear after a spring over, all your doing is flipping them around so the aquired lift accomodates the length between the shock mounts.

Back