1 of the most usefull DIY products!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 of the most usefull DIY products!!!

I just placed a bid on one of the $8 ones. Here:

Dead Link Removed

That says for 1995 Ford TRUCKs, including the Explorer. Hell for $8, it's worth a try. And he's selling 50 of them, so I would guess that the chances of getting one for only $8 are good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me kow if it's as good as the $20 one, and I'll buy one too.

i still think its worth the $20

Although I bought the $20 one because I didn't look for the $8 one, I'm not disappointed because it is definately worth $20. If you are going to troubleshoot anything in the electrical system, having the electrical schematic for your exact year with links showing where to find the connectors under the hood or under the dash is worth many times more than the $20.

The $8 sounds almost too good to be true, but hopefully it will be same thing for those who ordered.

I got one of the $8 ones on the way..................we'll see

Robb

OK I just ordered one of those CD"s from this guy. I sure hope I dont get ripped off.......

I got one of the $8 cd's for my 97' X. It appears to be the real deal. I don't think it's an original though, it appears to be a copy someone burned in a CD burner........but it's a genuine Ford Factory service manual. Mine has the service manual, EVTM and PowerTrain and more. For $8 this thing was a steal.

Let us know how yours comes out guys. :redexp:

Originally posted by jt1970m
OK I just ordered one of those CD"s from this guy. I sure hope I dont get ripped off.......

What..................for $8?:rolleyes:

A couple of happy meals will be more of a waste of money than that if the thing is nothing more than a coaster.

Copy or real.............yada yada.............it has the info.

Robb

I ordered the 20 dollar one. And i value my money hehe

I agree, I could care less if it's a copy. I am looking through it right now and it's loaded with information. Worth every penny!

Hehe I've been reading online on the Jeep forums and many times when people ask questions about like wiring or something related to the stock vehicle the person is refered to the Factory Service Manual. We have one for my brother's 99 Wrangler. The paper addition (very large book) costs 110 dollars and the cd edition is 90 dollars (that is the price from the manufacturer of the manual's website and that is also the price they sell them for at the dealer.) I agree those things are great.

I just ordered the $20 one before reading the whole thread. I could have saved $12 but its worth it in my opinion.

I ordered one today from 'southenpaw' or something like that. It was $12 'buy it now.'

Thanks for finding these Robert!

keep in mind.. Just because it is on a CDR doesn't mean its a copy.

I am in charge of CD duplication (among other things) where I work..

Some of the products I burn on CD's cost $20k

We burn them on CDR's.. and then print the label right on the CDR.. That is actually a very cost effective way of doing it.. If we got them pressed it would cost us $1.10 per disc.. and we have to order minimum 1000 at a time...

Burning them on CDRs ourself at any quantity only costs us $.56 per disc..

~Mark

Well now if it costs $90 from Ford, how can this guy sell them for $8 if it's not a copy? I nknw Ford marks it up, but an $82 increase?

I think the fact that mine didn't even include a label says that it isn't a legal copy. If in fact it isn't a legal copy then the person selling them is taking a HUGE chance that someone won't turn him in to the software manufacturer since he seems to be mass marketing them. He has done over 1100 auctions. If they were all for a the diagnostics discs then what does that add up to if the fines are $10,000 per violation? I ordered mine not expecting it to be an official Ford Technical manual although I'll admit I was very pleased with the information I found on the disk which is why I started this thread. Since I had never seen the official Ford CD before, the fact that he has done over 1100 auctions and he was mass-marketing them over E-Bay I figured they must be a legal copy. I'm just not so sure now.

re: copy or original

When I first opened the package it occurred to me that it probably wasn't an 'official' copy because of the lack of label or other documentation.

One thing I'm curious about is that the 'read' side of the cd is dark black instead of aluminum (shiny) like the ones I buy for my CD-R. Is this just a particular brand of CD-R or is this some type of commercial copy?

Also, I noticed that the program has an option for TSB, but the TSB information isn't included. However, I'm not going to complain about that for the price.

The least expensive option at Helm http://www.helminc.com is:

FCS1277397RT $225.00
  1997 EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER SHOP MANUAL CD-ROM
  Covers more than one year and model. (Details)
  English CD ROM

However the one that I have is closer to the description for this:

1997 FORD TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL CD-ROM (MAY 2001)
Item No: FCS1255197T26
Price: $1,200.00
Language: English
Media Type: CD ROM

The black coating is now available anywhere. I just bought a 50 pack of memorex Black for $26. Its a scratch coating like you'll find on many PS2 games and some DVDs

Well, I got my $8 cd today, and I love it! There is a small (3/16") crack on the edge of the disk, but it hasn't effected performance yet. There is more info on this disc than I could ever use.

It is obviously just a copy. The printing on the label isn't even good quality. I am very amazed that this guy came sell these things without getting busted!

For the record: To the best of my knowledge, this is an official Ford Service Manual CD.

Robb

Attachments

• 95fordcd.jpg
    95fordcd.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 521

Mine doesn't have a label yet, but I figure for the $1180 savings from the Helm price I will be able to put a fancy label on it myself.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Copy or real...I don't care. I just know that I need some of the vacuum line info that I'm hoping will be on that cd!

Yeah, whoever is selling them is taking a risk, but this is the real world and how many people do you hear about getting prosecuted for 'copyright' infringement for burning cd's. Now, if they were selling burned copies of Window's 2000pro, then I'm sure Microsoft would raise hell, but afterall, these are maintainance cd's for trucks/suvs. Not really a blip on the radar screen compared to most software....

Back