• Register Today It's free!

Will it affect Top Speed??

Capman2k

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger XLT
I'm hoping to get a 3" body lift for my (well... almost mine) 91 Explorer... Just wondering if putting the lift kit and some bigger tires will affect my top speed too dramatically. One reason I'm getting an explorer is because I can actually go faster than 60 mph when I go out of town, and I don't want to lose that! Gotta go 75 or 80...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it will take more horsepower to move you if it's higher off the ground, but nothing major on an Ex. My handling definately got worse with a 3" body lift.

The wind and rolling reistance will be a small factor, but not one you will need to worry about. What I would worry about is being able to control the vehicle with a lift and tires going at a fast speed.

Also, the larger tires will give you a higher effective gear ratio so theoretically your truck will have a higher top speed.

I just put a 3" body lift on my 95 last week, and to honest I love the difference, sure it handles a bit different, it's a bit stiffer, not a ton but a bit, and I love it.

Just with the lift it rides smoother, where as before I was kinda getting tossed around on corners and little bumps since it was so soft.

As far as speed I haven't noticed any difference, as I have just lifted it 3" haven't put bigger tires on yet, putting 35's on next week after i get my suspension lift, but as of now, I have nothing but praise for the body lift.

Greg M.

It will EFFECT it when you do it, but it hasnt AFFECTED it yet! :)

Just kidding.

Hey dont do a body lift!!! If you want to fit big tires for looks go ahead, if you want to fit big tires for traction so you can go off road, a body lift is an Explorer's enemy.......

A body lift simply lifts the body off the frame. Why do so many people say it rides stiffer or better? If the shocks, springs, and suspension componets are the same, all we've done is put the center of gravity up higher. When going around a corner, the amount of leverage the weight of the truck puts on the suspension is greater when higher up, therefore causing more lean. Mine definately handles worse, but that's expected and it is still a good way for me to get 3" deeper in snow before the running boards are covered.

I know what you're saying it really makes no sense as to why/or that it even could ride or handle better.

But I swear, it could jsut be in my head, but right after I put it on, things were a lot smoother there was body roll, but I like a stiffer ride, I drove an Isuzu Trooper for 3 years, pretty stiff. So for me it coudln't of been any better, it takes bumps without the whole car jumping around and being tossed about. NOt sure exactly how, but for me it's perfect.

You are another victim of the placebo effect. Now if you were talking about a 3 inch SUSPENSION lift...that would be different.

i have a 3'' body lift and with the bigger tires like said before, you theorecitally have a higher top end speed but for me before the lift and tires i could go 105-110 easy but now with the tires it starts getting kinda outta control around 90-100. but its not like i drive 105 all the time so it dosent even matter really.

and ill have to disagree with you 410 fortune... my ex with 3'' bodylift and 33's is a lot more offroad capable than my stock ex.

Back to the original question:

Your X will easily do 75-80 will a body lift and bigger tires(assuming no major engine problems).

BTW: What the heck do you own that won't go over 60?

Robb

I own a Scout II... I've gone 70 in it before, but it's cruising speed is 60-65 mph.

no 410 is right i would stay away from body lifts... chris i dont think you would actully know cause all you have is a 3" BL .... and bl on the explorer... depending on the wheelin you do isnt exactly the best... you will get alot of body flex and the stearing isnt exactly the best... a body lift will alow for a tab more tire clearance... but you will not gain any articulation

I agree with 94EB here, unless a body lift is all you can possibly afford, stay away from them. Save up and do a real lift, you'll be alot happier in the long run.

i agree on the articulation and serious offroading, but i mean going from a stock little v8 with 28'' street tires to a v8 with 33's and 4-5'' more ground clearance is a pretty big step up. in no way am i saying you will be completly offroad worthy but you will be able to do a lot more than you could do stock and for not that much money.

and i mean look at jefe's rig... all he has is a bodylift and TT/shackles/add-a-leafs (as far as his lift goes) running 35's and he can do some pretty serious offroading in that thing

Back