• Register Today It's free!

Top end engine noise on an '01

atikovi

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I have a 70,000 mile ‘01 with the 4.0 SOHC engine. After it is started it has what sounds like top end engine noise. This lasts for 3 or 4 minutes when cold to less than 2 minutes when warm depending on how long since it was last on. I got the truck recently and noticed that it has a lot of sludge under the valve cover. Could the hydraulic lash adjusters not pumping up cause this noise because they may be partially obstructed? Ditto about the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. Could they not pumping up cause a loose timing chain and also make a similar noise? I used an engine flush and it seemed to help a little so I may try it again. Should I replace the tensioners first as they are the easiest to get to? The oil gauge goes right to the middle of the gauge when started so pressure is not a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that is precisely what's happening. I think Ford has extended the warranty for explorers with the SOHC until 72K miles. Search for the 00M12 Warranty extension program.

Even for '01 models? Most of the posts here mention '99 and older models.

Here is the thread to the ONP 00M12. It only covers Explorers through model year 2000 that were built before 4/30/01. It covers the tensioners that make the deisel sound on startup. ONP 01M01 covers the front left chain guide but it only covers '97 & '98 Explorers built from 5/29/96 through 9/18/98. In either case your Explorer isn't covered by either program.

Mine was built 1/2000 even though its a 2001 model. Am I still screwed?

Originally posted by atikovi
Mine was built 1/2000 even though its a 2001 model. Am I still screwed?
In a word...YES. But call Ford anyway, who knows.:)

Are you sure it is a 2001 model? Usually the next years models don't come out until late July or August of the year before. I can't remember if Ford issued the 2001 early though. The letter for 00M12 does state "model year 2000 that were built before 4/30/01". If yours was built prior to 4/30/01 I would think you would have a good argument with Ford. Of course they will likely come back with the fact that yours is a 2001 model year which isn't included in the letter. It's free to find out (except for the agravation it may cause).

UPDATE

I went back and read the Q&A sheet to the dealers regarding ONP 01M01. In the letter it compares the difference between 01M01 and 00M12. One line states "00M12 covers certain 1997 - 2000 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles bult from Job #1, 1997 through April 7, 2000 and certain 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport-Trac vehicles built from Job #1 through April 7, 2000".

So, yes your 2001 Sport is covered if built before 4/7/2000 under program 00M12 (tensioners & o-rings). Your Explorer is not covered under program 01M01 (chain guide/cassette) for the following reason "All 1999 and later model year vehicles have a cam chain guide that is made of metal instead of plastic and, therefore, not subject to cracking or breaking. (NOTE: Old parts have been purged from the parts system.)"

That doesn't exactly give me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing my '97 SOHC has plastic guides that are still prone to cracking or breaking when I have 94K miles on it :(

After talking to service advisors at 2 Ford dealers (the first one didn't know what I was talking about) the second one put the VIN in the computer and found that yes, it was eligable for the tensioners replacement program and to bring it in on monday. Just wondering what related non-covered work they may want to charge me for?

BTW, kind of odd that a 2001 model was built 1/2000!

Back