• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Question

Leyritz

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Lately when I've been starting my X, it hasn't always been turning over on the first try. It'll make kind of a click and then an empty noise (if that's understandable), kind of like a soft buzzer. After doing that, it always starts right up on the second try. Could this be the starter or the ignition switch? If so, what am I looking at to have it replaced? I recently moved to where I'm living and don't have a local mechanic who I trust, so I'll probably have to throw myself at the mercy of the local Ford dealer. I would normally try to fix it myself, but whenever I embark on an electrical project I seem to just barely escape without setting my car, my house, or myself on fire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could also be bad battery cables, which are more likely than the ignition switch or solenoid going bad.

If it's giving you a good, strong "CLICK" then it shouldn't be the soleniod. My guess would be starter.

Assuming your solenoid is the same as a first Gen Explorer... (looks like this pic)... you can test it pretty easy..

starter-solenoid-arrows.jpg

if you put 12Volts on the spot where Arrow #3 is you will be doing the same as turning the key to the "start" position. If you do that and the motor turns over every time but won't do it with the key then you may have a bad switch but more likely it is the wire going to the solidoid (the one you remove to put 12v on arrow 3)

it that doesn't turn the motor over then it isn't your switch or the wire to the solenoid...

you can short out the wires between arrow 1 and arrow 2. At this point you will be bypassing the solinoid. IMPORTANT: Use heavy guage wire (6 gauge minimum) with clips on the end. You will be arcing (possibly sparks.. but nothing bad) as your short the wires.

If you short out between arrows 1 and 2 and it turns over every time, but won't with the key or by shorting out arrow 3 then it is your solenoid. If it still won't turn over then it is your starter or the wire going to the starter (that is arrow 2 on my picture)

Hope that helps..

~Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Back