• Register Today It's free!

How to install jack stands?

DaleG

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4X4
Hey guys I just purchased a floor jack and stands but am not real confident on the best way to use them. Is it best to lift one side of the vehicle at a time and install the stands that way or lift the center up and install both at the same time? Also where is the best lift points and spot for the stands on the front and rear?

Thanks

Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install the stands on the axle near the wheels not on the diff. and don't use the diff as a jacking point. To jack use the axle closer to the diff to give you room to stick in the jacks. You will probably have to do one side at a time.

There is a drawing in the owners manual of this.

Good luck!

If I can I usually lift the whole rear or front at once.

the perfect spot on the rear is the right in the center-the differential housing. The put the stands near the wheels on the axle.

Pretty much the same with the front although a little more difficult cuz the front diff is not center on the vehicle.

Lift points are the FRAME or the AXLE (suspension components, but not shocks and that type of thing). Thats it. NEVER lift the vehicle and crawl under to do work UNTIL you have up on jackstands and determine that it is not going to move. This can be done by shaking the vehicle back and forth. If its gonna fall by shaking it, better that it fall and break something on the truck that you.

Thats what I do anyways and its worked for me for about 10 years.

Good luck tinkering.

Brian

Hint- if you're working on rear suspension, be sure to use the frame for jacking/support because if you use the axle it compresses the shocks a lot, making it very hard to deal with them.

Step 13 from my '97 Owner's Manual:

"13. Position the jack on the lower suspension arm to raise the front wheel. Position the jack under the rear axle to raise the rear wheel.

Note: Never use the differential as a jacking point."

Thanks Guys!

Dale

On the front lower a-arm there is a little hook/L shaped piece that is welded on to the front side of it. That is for jacking it up to change a tire or something. That way you arent jacking it up for an hour while the suspension goes all the way down.

So tell me then, why are you NOT supposed to use the diffs as a jacking point?

Its just as strong as anyhwere on the axle.

Brian

Why not use the diff as a jacking point, I;m curious. I have always lifed both sides at once from right under the center of the rear diff.

If you are working on the front suspension place the jack stands directly under the frame rail just behind the radius arm crossmember. (91-94) This will allow you to droop the front suspension and work on it. Same goes for the rear, like if you need ton install leaf springs you will have to support the truck from the frame rails in order to be able to droop the rear axle. I always leave the jack under the side of the axle that I am working on in addition to the stands........

Originally posted by 410Fortune
I always leave the jack under the side of the axle that I am working on in addition to the stands........
Same here.
I let it down on the stands and then snug the jack up again.
That way if the stand happens to fail for some reason the jack is there.

Originally posted by MyExpWork
So tell me then, why are you NOT supposed to use the diffs as a jacking point?

Its just as strong as anyhwere on the axle.

I have just heard that it can cause damage to the diff with that amount of stress. Cause a leak maybe, as it is bolted/sealed together. That's what Ford says and what mechanics I know say also.

But I doubt any damage is done jacking it to get the axle/frame on jackstands quickly.

The Ford 8.8 is pretty tough.:D

I used the diff as a jacking point when I lowered my truck... but all I was lifting was the axle itself to get the blocks between the leaf and axle. If the jack is touching the cover it can cause a leak.

My manual doesn't say why, just not to do it. I suppose it has to do with the possibility of creating leaks if at the edge where the cover bolts on. The housing itself is certainly strong enough.

Yeah, I know you need to jack up from the frame if you are working on the suspension.

Maybe the diff twists or torques a little as you lift there or something and as one of you said it is sealed and bolted "together" so mabye thats way.

Brian

I have also heard not to jack on the diff., it is actually mentioned in the instructions of my AALs and the Haynes Manual. But everyone I have ever known (including myself) has used the diff as a jackpoint with no problems. I guess, every now and then, BaBoom!

Robb

ive been wondering this too. im not sure if the 97's also have the torsion bars, but it was a big problem for me to find a good spot because the bars were always in the way. i just saw a picture the other day of a guy who put his jackstands under one of the body mounts which is next to the torsion bars. im going to try it next time

Back