TURBO IDEA!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TURBO IDEA!!!!!

I was talking with some Typhoon/Syclone guys. Basically they have GMS Jimmys/S-10s that have 4.3 liter engines that are single turboefrom the factory. The engine is than mates to a corvette trans and AWD, which makes it run aroun 14 seconds stock. Well I have some pictures for you to look at and I was to see what you think about doing the same turbo on our 4.0's. I think it would be a fairly sinple project. What GMC did was take the headers and reverse them so they faced forward. Then the turbo is on the passenger side and is connected to the drivers side with an exhaust pipe running under the engine. This idea seems simple and it is nice because the GMC turbo is water cooled so all that has to be done for cooling is tapping into the coolent line instead of oil pan for oil. SO here are some pictures and let me know what you think so I can work with some people on this idea. Think it might be easier than twin turbos, but make the same output.

On this site you can simply go to the CURRENT PROJECTS and then go to JASON LEACH'S TYPHOON and you can see how the engine is set up because it is out of the truck.
http://www.rockfordracecraft.com/index2.html

On this pictures you can see the headers themselves. The one on the left is the passenger side header with the turbo on it and then the driver side header connects to the passanger one under where the turbo mounts. The connecting pipe for the headers runs under the engine.
http://mattw.dyndns.org/mattw/typhoon/mods/images/powder coat/manifolds sandblasted.jpg

I believe that we could easily mount the turbo on the driver side of our rangers/explorers because there is alot of open space there. Anyway just let me know what you think and please try to help me and not laugh at me hahaha. Thanks again for listening and hope to hear the great responses.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on I see you guys lookin, but take a serious look because I would seriously love to work with people on this and make a production kit for rangers and explorer to make Ford to leaders and keep them the leaders hehehe. SO please post ideas and seriously read my ideas and look at the pictures to understand.

Thanks so much.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Oh believe me, I can TRY to not laugh, but I still am! :p Anyways, i believe there has been tons of convos on this, and sure it's possible, but its gonna take tons of work cause we know noeone who's done it yet, so sure, YOU can try it... Tell me how cheap it is, then I'll pull my 302 and toss in a 429... theres alot of custom work
Pete

Originally posted by oreokid220
Come on I see you guys lookin, but take a serious look because I would seriously love to work with people on this and make a production kit for rangers and explorer to make Ford to leaders and keep them the leaders hehehe. SO please post ideas and seriously read my ideas and look at the pictures to understand.

Thanks so much.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Production kit turbo? Sorry, I posted before i saw this post, but no way... Hell they dont even have many bolt in parts fer the SOHC... Let alone, I dunno of a 302 BOLT IN turbo for the 5.0 stangs let alone sploders.... To me, this is beating a dead horse... you wanna go custom... More power to ya, and if i see a successful result, I'll give respect and compliments where available... but really it's a **** load of work
Pete

Well first off you would need to make custom headers for the turbo then depending on how much boost you run build the motor to handle it. Also you would need to be able to reprogram your fuel trim (1lb of fuel to 1lb of boost) you would have to make a custom intake to mount a blow-of-valve on. also you need some sort of dump to tube to re-route the exhaust gasses back in to the exhaust, and also pray you never need it to be inspected you would never pass, with a custom turbo setup. Can it be done yes but it would take a lot of time, and research.

Thanks for the comments guys. When I say production I mean I would make the kits for explorer owners in house and sell them myself. Also the return dump comes right out the turbo and goes straight back to the stock exhaust. As for fule the stock fuel pressure regualtor will work fin with the 1:1 ratio of raising bost like most of the supercharger kits use and the boost would be the same as a supercharger that is made for our trucks. I have fabed alot of kits for other car/trucks and they made emissions and run great I just wanted to see if anyone else would be interested or had any helpful advice like the advice you gave me.

Thanks

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Well, I wish you the best of luck! But personally I don't think there's enough room under there and it's cost prohibitive. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though.

Originally posted by Alec
Well, I wish you the best of luck! But personally I don't think there's enough room under there and it's cost prohibitive. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though.

I think all of us would LOVE for you to prove all of us wrong!!!

This is how real changes get started!

Robb

Thanks Alec and Moressy. I will try my bes to prove you all wrong heheeheh.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Love the idea

Just a tip- make sure whatever you try to fabricate involves BOTH banks of cylinders going to a turbo (whether it be single or twin). I've seen a lot of V8 mustang kits that only use 4 cylinders. A turbo creates a lot of back pressure. Only putting that pressure on half the cylinders is asking for trouble. If you need any help, please message me- I know more than I can type about turbos.

Thanks, yeah if you look at the typhoon setup you can see the the drivers side bank runs and exhaust pipe under the engine and into the turbo with the exhaust gases from the passengers bank. SO yes the turbo will be pussed by both the banks of cylinders, all six. Thanks for the help.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

If you really want to try it you might want to start out with a set of 92 van manifolds. The angle is better.
Good luck.

I'd love to see a turbo explorer, go for it dude. Although IMO, I think a twin turbo setup would be easier simply because you wouldn't have to route the exhaust under the motor to the other side. You can get simple rebuilt t3 turbos for considerbly less than an SC setup. You mentioned above that since it's water cooled then it wouldn't need an oil line, I'm not sure that's true because I've seen turbos that have both, and some cermic ballberring turbos that only have the oil line. You're still going to need to keep it lubricated. Good luck with it.

Yeah I worded that wrong, I ment to say that i could very simply cool the turbos and the oilline would be run like the ones for the Vortech supercharger and go back into the valve cover. I wil let you know how it goes.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

After doing a little looking, It appears that you would get the best clearance by using the van manifold on the driver side and either the ranger man. or the explorer man. on the pass. If you already use an aftermarket electric fan unit, youmay be able to invert that and run your crossover pipe up top in between the moter and radiator. you would have to wrap it with heat tape to keep the engine comp. cool. Wraping the pipe also helps keep the exhaust gasses hot and that is good. Ill do a little more looking and see if I can find anything else that might help. Les

While there are fewer heat issues with the casat iron, stock piping is very restrictive. I'd go for larger, custom pipes and heat wrap. That way you can also have the collective pipe and proper size flange made for the turbo.

Back