1/4 mile time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 mile time

I have read several threads lately with folks posting 1/4 mile times. I saw Rovert ran a 16.3...

What times have you run? In your Explorer.

I know Troll is the baddest, but who else is quixk?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've run
-16.35 those were all at my last trip to the track. and they weren't all with expo5.0 there was also my uncles stang, and my brothers escape. see if you can guess which times are which.

Stang: 13/14
X: 15s
Esc: 16s?

yeah, the sad thing is that my uncle got 13.2s consistenly with the stang (its a 1973 and its an ugly pos but its pretty fast for weighing more than the x huh?) and laughed at me when i tried. its also funny because my brother couldn't drive his own car, no license! i should also note that it was a really nice 65 degree day.

btw- i'm really impressed with the stock output of that escape, if i could eradicate its wheelspin, probably by practicing, it would really, really, go. i'm afraid he could catch the explorer with just simple bolt ons if he can solve the traction problem. does anyone know what to do about traction in a fwd application??? how much will switching to pirelli's or goodyears in a 255 section width help over the stock 235s?

Isn't the Escape a FWD? For some reason I remember hearing that it is, and if so...well there's your number one reason for tirespin. Good luck fixing tire spin on a FWD...it's a pain in the arse to do. Wider tires, and a LSD is about all I can say...

yeah, i meant to write fwd. see thats what it says now.

i ran a 15.25 on a 60 shot of nitous in 90+ degree heat. this was back in the begining of summer...

16.03 @ either 85.7 or 87.5, cant remember which and my slip is nowhere to be found. That was bone stock with 3/4 tank, 90 degrees and humid as hell (windows fogged up in the staging lanes between runs).
Cooler weather and less gas would have gotten 15s for sure.

what are the fees usually like at strips?

Fees are about $10 locally whether you run or not.

BTW, one of my magazines tested a Kenny Bell supercharged Escape and it ran around 14.6 in the 1/4. I was curious what the stock Escape would run compared to the magazine tests.

here its $20 to run on "test and tune" night. you get to run all you want. depending on how crowded it is, you have an unlimited # of passes... its $5 to spectate.

Alec

Have you ever thought of running with stock sized wheels/tires? I'd be very curious to see those numbers.
Solution for your FWD traction problem- very stiff suspension and a good set of tires. There are traction bars for FWD drag cars that will totally eliminate wheel hop, but I don't know if there is such a thing for an escape.

I've ran mostly 8th mile tracks because thats all we have locally my best there was a 8.83 at 78 mph. I did run a 1/4 mile track and all I could get up there was a 13.80 at 95mph. My sixty foots were horrible on the 1/4 mile time since I had really just begun tuning my set-up. I've done quit a bit since then from larger injectors to a lower gear ratio. The 1/8th mile time on the 1/4 mile pass was a 9.20 so I should be faster in the 1/4 now since I have improved my 1/8th mile times. This was all done with a stock bottom end, stock ports on the heads, using a Comp. Cam, Vortech, and Supoerchip. Later Doug904.

i THINK I MIGHT TAKE MY TRUCK TO THE TRACK AFTER I GET MY CHIP AND INTAKE.. HMM..:cool:

times....

The First time I ever went to the track was in 105 degree and EXTREMLY humid weather here In NJ @ Island Raceway. Everyone there that did was saying that they weren't doing what they had hoped. I went 15.5 @ 93 mph before my tranmission work and mass air. I'm dying to find out what I do next time , I plan going on a cold day Hopefully I'll touch a 15.0

I'm curious to know what some of you have ran with a truck like mine , 97 sport 4x4 , 4.10 rear, cold air, flowmaster dual catback, Superchip, thats what I ran my truck with , now i have more work just curious on some numbers

Thanks

Nick

TimestandStil77,

Very clean truck. I like it.

Fischer

Yeah Time, VERY nice truck. I love the way your exhaust shounds. I also don't think I've ever seen that wheel/tire setup on a Sport before. It looks very sweet.

Anyone know where to go in the Northwest Burbs of Chicago?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: times....

Originally posted by TimestandStil77
The First time I ever went to the track was in 105 degree and EXTREMLY humid weather here In NJ @ Island Raceway. Everyone there that did was saying that they weren't doing what they had hoped. I went 15.5 @ 93 mph before my tranmission work and mass air. I'm dying to find out what I do next time , I plan going on a cold day Hopefully I'll touch a 15.0

I'm curious to know what some of you have ran with a truck like mine , 97 sport 4x4 , 4.10 rear, cold air, flowmaster dual catback, Superchip, thats what I ran my truck with , now i have more work just curious on some numbers

Thanks

Nick

What mods did you have when you ran the 15.5? My '97 SOHC 4x4 Sport with 4.10s rand 16.374 @ 83.24 MPH when it was 100% stock and had 50K on the odometer. My runs were made at about 60 degrees in March, 2000. I've been wanting to get mine back up to the track to see what my mods have added, but I've never gotten around to it. I can't find anyone that wants to run down there with me and the cooler season seems to end before I expect it to. Now that I've got 95K on mine, I doubt if it would even be worth finding out my times now.

Back