• Register Today It's free!

lift kits, which one for 91 4x4

NitroDRS

Reaction score
City, State
encinitas california
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 Sport 4x4
I have a 91 explorer sport and i desperatly want to put a nice lift on it. I unfortunately have limited funds and little to no technical knowledge of what to do. I dont go too crazy, mostly mudding and vertical climbs. (i like seeing just how far my stock 91 can go) anyhow, im wondering who makes a good lift for my vehicle. also i was thinking of just lifting the front. Is this a good idea, or not? One more thing while im thinking of it...does anyone know where to get a T-bar shifter knob to fit my stick. (ford sticks seem to be extra fat.) thanks to anyone with advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THE hurst SHIFTER TBARS ARE AVAILABLE AT SUMMITRACING OR EVEN THE LOCAL PEPBOYS OR JEGS..... AS FOR LIFT, THEY ARE ALL BASICALLY THE SAME... HOW MUCH LIFT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR, BETTER YET, WHAT SIZE TIRES DO YOU WANT AND WILL YOU TRIM THE SHEETMETAL TO MAKE THEM FIT? oops..just noticed caps lock... to lazy to retype everything...

yeah i checked the hurst bars, but i didnt see one that fit. I guess our local auto parts stores just dont stock all that they should.
I wanted about a 4"-6" lift actually 3" wouldn't bug me. i wanted 32's or so, but in the beginning i dont think id have enough money for all that.

I have a 91 sport. I just had 5.5-inch Superlift suspension kit installed. Parts were approximately $ 1,000 and labor was approximately $500. I am very pleased with the results. I fit BF Goodrich MT KM 33x12.5x15 on AR 767 15x8 wheels. Tires and wheels were approximately $1000. I plan to install the superrunner steering kit to improve handling and prevent tire rub on front swaybar.

I installed the 4 Superlift on my "X", it cost about 700.00 and installation was free, did it myself. "X" rides a lot better with the lift installed and is even better off road. I also have a 3" Body Lift which gives me plenty of room for 33" tires.

I've been looking at the James Duff kit for my '94 Sport, but that is 2 1/2" lift, and it sounds like you want more than that. I plan to go with 32's as well and most of the feedback I've gotten suggests that 2 1/2 inches of lift will be enough (maybe with minor trimming).

The duff kit is only $450. www.jamesduff.com

Ed

I know where you are coming from. I have been looking and am wanting to do the same thing. I was going to put a 2" body lift (JC Whitney for $85), Heckethorn shocks (set of 4 for 2" susp lift $100), Daystar makes a front lift/leveling system to add 2" to the front coils for $99 (also through JC Whitney), and shackles for the rear, I am waiting for a price from Warior. None the less, if you bought all the components and installed them, you'd run around $400-$500. I was planning on building the shackles and sping spacers myself to save a little bit. JC Whitney also has a 4" Tuff Country susp lift for $562 (shocks, springs,...included) but you'd have to install it.

rough country makes a 4 inch lift for the first gen x's? i found a 3 inch lift made by them for 580 but if i can get a 4 inch for less than that, by all means... i thought it was a great deal because it included all new springs and my springs are old anyways, plus the shocks id need for the lift.

the T bar shifter in Summit that is for the ranger will fit, same tranny

What is the biggest lift you can use without extending the driveshafts. Meaning either suspension lift comined with body lift or just suspension,

Thanx
Jay

The 4" Lift, other wise you will max out your shaft. I have the 4" lift and had my shaft lenghtened, works great. They say the 5.5" lift, the stock shaft will work ok for mild wheeling and street use. Good luck and have fun.:)

does the lengthening of the shafts only come into play when ur raising the suspension or does the body lift come into play or is that something diffrent and doesnt matter?

Jay

Body lift has nothing to do with driveshaft angle. Also extended shocks will not lift anything, if you are looking for a inexpensive sus lift, then the skyjacker 2 inch is a real good start 168 bucks, includes coils, and add a leaf, plus body lift for 90 bucks, will give you 5 inches, easy to run 32's there. 32's on crawlers are only 750 bucks from 4wheel parts.

Back