• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake Problem

countrymz

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Bush, NY and Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Yesterday, I was changing the brake pads at all four corners. The rears were worn twice as much as the front. Is this a sign that the calipers are done with? I have 121,000 miles on it.
Thanks
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brakes

The rears wear alot slower than the fronts. so it may be the first change for the rears.

This is the fourth change of brakes. They've always been done at the same time. The last time I replaced the brakes was last june.

One other thing, brakes don't last 121,000 miles

dont be a smart ass I was just trying to help and will continue to try to help. Since the pads were replaced togather which I didnt know. It will be a problem with the presure differential swith. I controls how much presure goes to the front and to the rear. It is located after the master cylinder on your brake line. Also rear abs can cause this problem.

I think I have a problem where the rear brakes don't fully disengage, especially with the parking break released. You can imagine if you are having this problem, the rears would wear fast. I don't know the solution or if your problem is the same, but curious to know myself.

Edit: I remember reading in the Haynes manual that you should always replace a certain spring when changing the rear pads, as they lose their tension and can cause the pads to rub. I hope it's that simple.

To rgiles All disks have tension on them all the time most ford are 12 lbs there is a juction box on your brake line somewere after your master cyclinder. when they malfuction they can cause your breaks not to release back to there set presure, hence brake pad were and poor fuel milage. Hope this helps

alyz1flr, Is there a way to determine if this is the cause by inspection, or does the junction need to be replaced to find out?

rgiles after looking back at your post it looks like you have drum brakes. they adjust when you back up and apply the bracks. If yours are to tight it is probably either the cables sticking in there housing or the sping that connects the bottom of the brake shoes. The spring is 5 dollars a pair at ford.

You are correct, I have drum brakes on my '91 which has the problem. I guess I need to take them apart to inspect what's going on.

Thanks

re: Accelerated Rear Pad Wear

My 97 has rear disks like the 95. My first set of rear brakes were changed at 55k miles. My second set only lasted 23k miles because the caliper pins weren't sliding correctly. The pads were tapered from one end to the other because the calipers were sticking. You may want to check to make sure that the caliper pins are sliding easily. Make sure they have enough grease and aren't corroded.

In the same mileage that the rears were worn out (23k) the fronts appear to be approx half way worn.

Just a word of advice...

When changing out the pads/shoes on disks brakes/drum brakes it is always a good rule of thumb to replace the brake hardware (pins, clips, etc.) as well as the pads/shoes. And lube the hardware, too. There is special lube, sometimes supplied with the h/w kits just for that purpose. Very important.

Back