Help with ignition lock cyl replacement (yes, I searched) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with ignition lock cyl replacement (yes, I searched)

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
The ignition lock cylinder on my 94 Sport is slowly dying.. it's causing intermittent problems, but that's beside the point. I got a new lock cyl, took it to a locksmith, got keys made for it that work in my doors, etc. Today I went to put the new lock cyl in. I got the old one out no problem (Didn't have to remove the wheel - I do have the tilt wheel). My problem is sliding the new lock cyl in. I can get it in almost 1/4" and then it gets really tight and will not go any further. I put grease on the lock cyl body, and slid it in again. I couldn't really tell from the grease marks where it was sticking. It seems just a tiny bit too big overall or something. I have closely compared it to my old lock cyl, and it looks exactly the same to me. I have a feeling that if I used a mic on it, I could find some slight differences in the height of the splines. I have tried lightly filing down some of the casting marks on the splines, but that didn't make any difference at all. Any ideas? Since it's already been keyed for my truck, I can't really take it back. I don't know what else to try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my Haynes book (which could be wrong but sounds right)

1) Insert the key in the lock and turn the ignition key lock cylinder to the first (Run) position.
2) Insert a small scribe or punch through the hole in the lower steering column cover and depress the retaining pin while pulling out the lock cylinder.
3) To install the lock cylinder, press the retaining pin in and place the lock cylinder into the steering column. Make sure the lock cylinder is fully seated and the retaining pin is engaged before turning the key to the Lock position. Check the lock cylinder operation in each key position.

So I guess that you are not pressing the retainer? or there is something stuck inside the lock (broken off old one). Hope this helps.

I have the new lock cyl in the run position and that little pin is pushed down as far as it can go - I have made sure of that :) It's just so close :banghead:

Was the old one very slack? could just be not quite lining up. Try putting the old one back and turn it a bit more.
Edit
If memory strikes the first position is aux not run:confused:

Originally posted by Howard
Was the old one very slack? could just be not quite lining up. Try putting the old one back and turn it a bit more.
Edit
If memory strikes the first position is aux not run:confused:

The old one was very slack and had a lot of play. I'll check that about the positions.

Ok.. i just messed with it a little more. There is only one position on the new lock cyl that the pin will depress.. I assume this is the only position that it's possible to slide in the column. The new lock cyl only goes in about 0.25 inches. It doesn't get anywhere near where the shaft on the end of the cyl lines up with the hole in the bottom of the steering column. With the new one inserted 0.25in, there is some up/down play, but no forward/back play. If I really force it, I can get it in up to about 0.5 inches, but I really hate doing that.

That definately doesn't sound right. You haven't got it 180 degrees out have you? Just a thought. Other than that is there some burr/wear inside the outer casing?

Originally posted by Howard
That definately doesn't sound right. You haven't got it 180 degrees out have you? Just a thought. Other than that is there some burr/wear inside the outer casing?

I don't think it's possible to have it 180 off. The splines on the lock cyl body will only fit into the column one way, and the pin will only go in when the cyl is turned to one certain position. I have looked in the outer casing, but I don't see anything that would be causing a problem. It's dark outside now, so there's not much more I can do tonight, but hopefully I'll see something in there tomorrow...

Well I'm sorry but now I've run out of ideas. Like you I'm now baffled. But as you say tommorrow is another day and who knows perhaps it will just slip in. To quote "if you iliminate all that it cannot be then you are left with the answer" eh watson. I wish you all the best and keep us informed of progress.:cool:

I finally got it in.. I ended up filing a lot of the lock cyl itselt, and a little bit inside the casing on the column. It's still a very tight fit, but it went in and everything works. I'm still not quite sure what happened, but at least I finally got it finished! Thanks for the replies...

Back