• Register Today It's free!

front end knocks

gwt

Reaction score
City, State
cedar rapids iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have a 96 XLT and the front end knocks, I can feel it in the steering wheel but I cannot locate it. It knocks really bad in the summer. I have had a lot of parts changed but it still knocks. The dealer ship says this is a big problem with them but they can not find the problem. I have been fighting this for over 3 years I know someone out there has had the same problem and fixed it.

G.T.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, welcome to the boards. I hope we can help you with your problem.

First off, when does it make the noise, when the wheel is turned like in a curve? When you are sitting at a light and idling? When you are off road or going over bumps? Things like that can help us help you a lot quicker.

Happy trails!!

My OLD 96 chassis used to do the same thing. I know exaclty what you're talkin about. It was the worst on really hot days. The whole front end would squeek when going over speedbumps and turning hard. I know a lot of people have had this problem. I suggest maybe checking your shocks, ball joints, and bushings. I lubed the crap out of every moving part up there but it still did it. So I got a new chassis. :D

Knocking

Thanks to all who have responed so far I have faith that Someone will know what it is and I can fix it. It really knocks bad when the front end is going up and down in the summer I can push up and down on the front bumper and it will knock with each motion. I have taken it to front shops all over and every time the change something they think they have it fixed it comes back. one gut felt so bad that he wanted to give me my money back after he changed all the bushings and bearings and the shaft that goes to the rack. Since it dose it real bad in the summer Im wondering if there is a fluid break down like in the front punkin maybe the 90 weight is getting hot and thinning out causing parts to losen up? When its really bad it feels like the steering shaft is going to break. One strange thing is that after someone has worked on it the always align it and it is good for about a week then it comes back. There has to be someone that knows what it is. Also I just put the best monroe shocks on it and it did not change a thing.

Thanks to all

hey

Hey man,
I just had that problem in my 96'. Starting looking around and saw that my tie rod end was shot...replaced it...noise got a little better but the majority of it was still there. Pulled off the front driveshaft and everything is complety gone! The CV joint is shot.
So, check those two things....
-Kendal

Back