Burns My Socks Here sometimes!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns My Socks Here sometimes!!

Those that do a search and post a link for the newbie without complaining increase the value of this site in my opinion. Sites that have a negative attitude will attract like kind so keep it positive :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I try to post a quick answer to help point the person in the right direction. And if it's a short answer anyway, I may just type the entire thing. However, for frequent questions that require a lot of explanation, I usually try to give them a link.

I admit I'm a bit short sometimes, but I really try to be friendly and helpful.

Originally posted by expo5.0
this topics been covered do a search

That is what I was gonna say! ;)

One of the things that is always dificult with this kind of forum is sorting the useful from the trivial- The job of the moderators is to do just that. Perhaps the solution is to make the realy useful threads part of a read only search system and to trim the rest to say six months worth only. In that way size can be controlled along with quality. The idea is that when you do a search for say tyre size you only get one answer - the right one and not 800+ entries. I appreciate that it would take a lot of work but if that is spread out then this could become the difinative site for Explorers and much more user friendly to newbies (as we all were/are at one time). More structure means more use and less wasted time for all of us. Lets pool our knowledge and end up with something great. We all are aware of the typical mods that can be done and the usual faults that occur. What do you guys think?

I try to help as much as possible and there are many others on here who do the same. It's a two way street......

Sometimes I say search when I know a topic has been discussed recently or it is VERY common.

Maybe from now on I will try to do the search myself and provide the link to the thread.......

Dont get discouraged to easy.

I fully understand the need for doing a search whenever possible. I have used the search function many times, on this and other boards with mixed results.

As an example. One search I made here was to see if 31X10.50X15 tires would fit on my stock rims on a stock suspension '94 Explorer. After reading most of the threads that came up on the search, I was not further ahead than when I started. Still no definative answer. I could not find an answer from anyone who had this combination and it worked for them. I did not, however, bother posting the question, because of the number of times I had seen the answer given "DO A SEARCH". After already having done the search, I didn't really need an answer such as that, so didn't bother.

I've helped people out here, where I could, without really giving any thought to whether or not the info was already on the board "somewhere".

BTW, anybody running 31X10.50X15 on a stock '94 X?

I have mixed feelings about this topic. My first post to this board was about a flashing O/D light--a silly newbie question that probably could have been answered with a search. But I got useful answers from the members and I appreciated it. It helped me fix the problem. :D

I like to post links to other informative threads that pertain to a newbie's question. Usually because I remember that thread from a while back and I know it will help them. The newb doesn't know it is there, so I try to help them find it. I might also include the "try a search for more info" line in addition to my answer and link...but I try to be helpful.

In a perfect world, all of the useful information on a particular topic would be posted in one thread, to keep the information in one place. And that thread would have a very descriptive title, so there would be no question about what lies within when that thread pops up in a search with 400+ others.

big one

Some have been able to run 31's with out any issues, but most would agree that's pushing it. On a stock first gen., I wouldn't go more than 30's. Your stock wheels will accept a 31, but you might end up with rubbing inside of fender.

I see it this way.

If I know the topic exists and it is a simple answer that I can explain in a few sentances, I do so.

But if someone asks, "how do I do a SAS and what axle should I use?," it isn't exactly something I feel like writing another essay about unless there is some new question in the body about a SAS that I don't remember seeing.

So when it comes to that, I say search and suggest a word or words to search for.

So use the search function newb!!! :D

I think it is a responsibility of those with experience to help direct newer members around the site, most come here looking for answers, and to feel included in a group. I know that the other day I spent about three hours looking for the thread with the website for performance parts, I know I had seen it in the past, but could not find it. I do agree with cory about large progects, but instead of sending them into the search void, how about directing them to the right forum. And if you do not wish to answer a question, ignore it, some else will answer in time. 13,000 members, somebody always has the answer.:D That's what I love about this place!!

the problem is that if its really simple, like will 31's fit, instead of giving someone no answer or 'do a search', it would be a lot easier to say 'yea, do a search on 31, torsion twist, and shackles'.... its 4AM, im incoherent, i just think we could in general be nicer to newbies

do a search....

First off, wasting "bandwidth" is a myth.....

Wasting space MIGHT have some reason to it if the messages werent SO TINY to begin with....lets be reasonable..these are TINY files.....

Why is it considered "clutter" ? Someone who is new has a question, just as you or I might.....as far as what is more "important"....that differs from prerson to person...

Frankly, as a family man with very little money to waste, I would much RATHER see a post about lubing my yolk and fols experiences doing it than trying to convert my headlights to projector beams...

It's all in your perogative.

Yes, a search does usually yield some results, but the nagain sometimes it yield s JUNK results too....

Like someone said, my opinion is "If ya dont wanna read about a topic, scroll past it..."

Just my two cents.

Originally posted by Jason_25
The problem with that reasoning is 2 things.
1.Wasting Space/Bandwidth on Server
2.Cluttering up the "active" threads at the top of the list for something that has already been discussed. Ya know, like real threads that are important and are actively discussed like "projector beam headlamp mods" instead of boring threads like "slip yoke lubing".

piercings

Thats an easy one.....use a Sears Craftsman nail gun...the big one that shoots framing nails....

OWIE!

Originally posted by Rick
Or a very important topic like a do it yourself guide to pecker piercing.:rolleyes:

Re: piercings

Originally posted by zavetsky
Thats an easy one.....use a Sears Craftsman nail gun...the big one that shoots framing nails....

OWIE!

At least you would get it over with in a hurry. ;)

Re: do a search....

Originally posted by zavetsky
First off, wasting "bandwidth" is a myth.....

Oh not it's not. Bandwidth is what makes hosting a site this size so dang expensive. The more B/W you use the more you pay for the service. It's about the equivalant of using minutes on your cell phone. You agree to a plan that will give you X amount of B/W each month, after you exceed that amount they charge you for every gig you use after that or some companies will charge you for an additional "block" of bandwidth so even if you used only 1 additional gig they still charge for 10.

So yes you can waste bandwidth.

Re: Re: do a search....

What I meant was that wasting bandwidth is myth because it all relates to what people find important....

When you host a site of this size and popularity, it is gonna be tough to determine whose posts are "wastes" and whose are not.....the amount of bandwidth you are charged for is directly attributable to the number of folks who peruse and use the place, and therefore ALL posts are equally important or unimportant if the main goal is to have an exchange of ideas and comments among a large userbase....worth of a particular post is subjective....

This very thread is "wasting" bandwidth in some folks' eyes, but not in others'.....

Just as a myth is believed by some and not by others....it has SOME basis in truth but mostly in conjecture...........

The wasting of bandwidth could in fact be more attributed to folks endless harping on others for wasting bandwidth and saying "use the search" than for the "dumb and repetitive posts" alone........no response would be better, and "save bandwidth"....

That's all I meant....

:)
DZ

Originally posted by Rick
Oh not it's not. Bandwidth is what makes hosting a site this size so dang expensive. The more B/W you use the more you pay for the service. It's about the equivalant of using minutes on your cell phone. You agree to a plan that will give you X amount of B/W each month, after you exceed that amount they charge you for every gig you use after that or some companies will charge you for an additional "block" of bandwidth so even if you used only 1 additional gig they still charge for 10.

So yes you can waste bandwidth.

the worst part is i cant search for 3 letter words.. so when i want to find info on a pcv valve.. NO GO.. when i want to find out about a mas.. NO GO...

that frustrates me.

use the wild card when searching for 3 letter words. Like this mas*

Rick

Back