Tire Air Pressure

tenikiwon

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 F250/Zuk twins
Ok I'm really getting into this off-roading thing. I'm a nerd, geek, electro freak, whatever.

I love "toys" as anyone in any of my cars can tell.

I knew that some military vehicles have electrical systems to inflate/deflate their tires.

I now, just recently, put 2 and 2 together and realized the potential in my truck off-road. (I've been doing in on my bike for years) duh!

So I looked online for bead locking rims and can hardle find any.

Also I looked for the auto tire pressue thing.

The closest match I found was the Auto Pump.

I e-mailed the place and found that they wont have anything for after market available until end of 2003 :(

While searching I also found tire pressure monitoring kits but this doesn't solve everything.

What do you guys do? And please don't post if you just do it mannually or with a hand pump. I need easy (lazy) man's way for accomplishing this.

Auto Pump

Just to share my searching. I did find automatic (pre setup) tire deflaters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well if you can deflate it, why can't you just rig up a compressor off an inverter or whatever and just reverse the process?

The deflaters screw on to each valve steam and relieve pressure until it meets the set amount.

I will eventually hook up a compressor to fill them, but I'd like to do it from inside the car or by press of a button.

that was my point...you know how these guys that "slam" their vehicles use airbags, right? they have compressors mounted in the beds. So what i'm suggesting is mount a compressor in your vehicle somehwere, run the lines to the valve stems, and then wire up a switch that you can mount up front somewhere. Due to that airbag craze compressors like this are available all over the place.

Ok, but how do you get it so that you can drive with it?

Is there currently some sort of adaptor that will allow it to rotate?

Interesting...Would love to read some more on this. Is there a site we can check out?
My only fears would be sand and grit at the junction point, and all those air lines under my rig and at the wheels to be torn off by rocks, limbs, ruts, etc....
Interesting, but I'm thinking not practical for a trail rig, BUT I could be wrong.

why not rig up some sort of recoil device that allows you to pull the lines out to the tires and have em mounted so they dont' go back up insdie the vehicle but stay at a point where you can access em. you're probably gonna have to get out of the truck (lazy ass, hehe) and put the lines on but hell that's been than using a hand pump.

LOL..I use a $30 electric pump, a $2 valve stem remover, and a $3 tire pressure gauge now...For $35 total investment, you can't beat it.
Sure, it takes 5 minutes before heading down the trail, and another 5 when I'm ready to head home..BUT hey..I need the exercise ;)

yeah mike but imagine all that stuff mounted in the vehicle just gotta hook em up and then hit a button placed in the cab. if nothing else it would be fun just to rig up!

MDRUT -

The link in my first post is about it. Otherwise seach Hummer. They are the only off-road vehicles that I've found with them.

I'm just waiting for Rick. 'come on. I bet you don't have this feature/option :)

The AutoPump in my first post is also not like the one in the Hummers/HMMWVs. If you have a semi or semi componients or an RV then you might be in business.

The Auto Pump is an individual unit that you put in/on each wheel and have monitor and adjust from inside the vehicle. Cool enough for me. Maybe I should start saving :)

Dakota Digital said that they should have a 4-wheel sensor unit in the next 30-60 days to monitor press in each wheel. I guess this wouldn't be too bad.

Where did you get the $30 electric pump? My parents have a cheap-o and I hate it.

Christ for my bike (off-road pedal bike) I have a CO2/hand pump with a digital gauge. I can't do the same for my truck :D

BTW...
The semi version are expensive to maintain, unreliable, and tend to "stick" in poor weather conditions..Know this first hand, we trashed 50 of them a year ago because of upkeep and repair cost.

Back