Rough Idle for a Bit

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Just like the thousands of other ones, anyways...My truck got a bunch of new stuff put on it, runs real nice under a load, but at stop lights it doesnt idle as smoothly as I would like. I am trying to narrow my options down on what to look at. So far Ive been told it can be the IAC ( i think i have original with 89k on it), sparkplugs (i got mine wet, but they had 15k on em), we ruled out the fuel filter, o2 sensors and some other stuff, computer whatever. but basically the engine runs great except idling, so i dont think its aynthing internal, right now im looking at the IAC. I noticed this problem before i flooded my truck, but its just gotten worse after...so i dont really think the water is an issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the club. I have tried EVERYTHING to fix mine. I am beginning to think that a rough idle on a higher mileage 4.0 is normal operation.

Lol, i knew ya were goin to reply...well it wasnt quite as bad before, its not that rough where its going to stall, but it makes me feel like im in a 4 cylinder...lol

Well, make sure your IAC is plugged in, Check that there is no water in your coil connections, if there is still a bad idle, Replace your wires......... a good time to replace plugs too

I didn't know 4.0L's came in explorers. oops, I must be on the wrong board. Back to Tarusforum.com

By the way, sounds like you need a new Carbuerator. Get one of those new Edelbrocks. I've got one on my Tarus SHO.

ASP,
Speaking as a moderator and long-time member of this board, why did you all of a sudden become full of crap? I don't find your comments funny or helpful.

Pardon me if I'm missing something.

Alec, you are missign something. not much though.
Espnfreak already contacted me about his problem over AIM. I helped him to the best of my ability. Espn told me to post a reply, and thats what I did.

At least I do not tell people to "do a search" and post a big picture of the "search" logo next to it.

hehe.
Alec

Well, I guess I was missing something.

And as for the search thing, for the vast majority of the posts that I suggest using a search, I do the search for the user or point them to a useful thread.

Jason...I think you need some more blinker fluid to fix that IAC :D

01EB5.0,
You represented the typical reply Espnfreak would get for his problem/question.

...but seriously..jason use TB cleaner

espnfreak: Did you try everything that was suggested in Jason_25's thread last month? :D

My 4.0 OHV is starting to idle a little more roughly with 82k miles on the clock, but I haven't done anything to it for awhile. I'm thinking the MAF sensor cleaning would be a good place to start.

Back