• Register Today It's free!

help xplorer won't start

xplore-this

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
i have a 91' xlt, today when i went to lowe's and came back out my truck wouldn't start. Usually when you turn your key to the on position before you turn the key over the x make's like a humming noise . i think it is like priming the gas if you will for start up but this time it didn't do this and i am wandering if it was my fuel pump gone out.i can't tell if the pump is running or not it was too windy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pump is a great place to start..
Relay under the hood, see if it's blowen. If relay is good, and you are getting juice to the pump..BUT, don't hear the "hum". It is probally bad.
Only thing wrong with an electric pump, it's not a slow death, it either works or it doesn't.
Once you eliminate the pump as the problem, check for "spark" at the plugs.

BUT, the first thing I would do is run the CODES, it should point you in the right direction. If you haven't got one already, you can pick one up at Wal-Mart for around $20. The first series of test is done with engine on and NOT running, it will let ou know if the problem is in the fuel system, or ignition system.
Good Luck.

thanx so you say wal-mart has a code reader. will the codes tell what is wrong in the fuel or ignition system or is that for me to figure out trial and error.as far as the realy i think it is good because i can hear the clicking in the on position. by the way where is the relay located, do you know by chance

Relay is under the hood, there is also a LARGE fuse in the junction box for the fuel pump.
The code reader comes with a book that explains things fairly well. At $20, if it points you in the right direction, it is cheaper then replacing parts on an elimination hunt.

Mine developed a Fuel Pump hum over a year ago, I have the new pump on hand due to past experience..lol Think I gave around $80 for it. Figure when she stops starting, I'll drop the tank and replace it.

fuel pump.

Before going thru to much money check the impact shut off. Look for location in your manual. It has a reset button. Mine did the same. Just had to reset it. Instant fuel pump failure is rare. Check fuse, relay, impact sensor in that order. It saves you from buying unnec. parts.

i was wandering about that but there was no impact of any sort. can those sensors just go off anyways from maybe cold or a door shutting.:confused:

simply yes

Back