• Register Today It's free!

IAT < Help, Location in 1991?

ExploderBlues

Reaction score
City, State
Cathedral City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Can someone please tell me where the IAT is in a 1991 Explorer? I looked at pic in Haynes, still can't gigure it out. My MAS tubing doesn't seem to be the one in the picture. Still trying to get rid of pinging while accelerating in OD.....Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAT=????

You mean Intake Air Temperature sensor? 1991's don't have one.

1995 and later I believe..

have you tried removing the manifolds and retorquing and re-gasketing them? This fixed the pinging I was getting.

There are 2 temp sensors that I know of on our '92 ohv

One one the intake plenum (driver side).. and one on the intake manifold (down by the thermistat)..

this might help...

Dead Link Removed

~Mark

Are the IAT and the IAC the same thing?

ACT? or ECT?

in 91 you only have two temp sensors on the engine the ECT- Engine Coolant Temperature sender, or the ACT - Air Charge Temperature sensor.

The ECT is on the front of the manifold just above the t-stat it has two wires, the single wire smaller diameter sender next to it is the coolant temp gauge sender- Ok so its a third temp sender.

The ACT is threaded into the upper intake manifold - driverside- between the IAC(bypass solenoid) and the vacuum tee.

Good Luck

The ACT is also called the IAT.. same thing.. just different name.. (if you go to Autozone and ask for an IAT they will know what it is.. but not if you call it an ACT)

~Makr

Back