Fark!....Front Passenger door panel removal on a 92 XLT?.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fark!....Front Passenger door panel removal on a 92 XLT?....

FoxxRocket

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT 4.0LV6 PushRod 4X4
Guys,, Im trying to replace the damn door speaker on my 92 XLT.. and I can not for the life of me get the damn door panel off... :mad:

I removed the 2 screws in the door handle area, the 1 screw by the hinge,,, and thats all I see,
My understanding is that the handle area should come right off.. but that son-of-a-***** is IN THERE.. it wont budge!...I pulled hard enough on it to break the "handle" part off the door.....

WTF!:mad: :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance....
-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a ton of small fasteners around the perimeter of the door that you need to pull off as well. If you don't have an upholstery tool, you can use two flat head screwdrivers. You'll have to pull out each fastener one by one by sliding the screwdrivers under each side and prying them away from the door. When you've loosened them all you'll have to lift the door panel because the entire top slides into the door where the window is as well. Hope that helps.

Yeaa,, chitty,, I know that,, but the door handle part should come off first correct,., I mean,, just like the rest of the doors on the vehicle right....Ive done the back two but just havent done the front doors yet....

..but ive got all the screws out right?...

-CHris

If you pulled the door handle part off, you broke it. You'll have to glue them back on to the door panels when you remove them. The entire inner panel is one big piece.

Oh, and yeah, those are the only screws. I just did this a few weeks ago, and those are the only ones I remember.

The door handle is molded to the panel, the latch for opening the door slides thru, I wouldn't force it these panels suck, and will break on you. Also screw by mirror.

heh, don't try ripping the door handle off, or are you talking about that black plastic cover thats around the handle.

You have to pull hard around all the edges, like from corner to corner ect.. If you try pulling it all at once you'll probably snap all the fasteners.

oops ,, broke it...:mad: :rolleyes:

...okay,, no prob.... just another trip to the salvage yard for a passenger side door panel this time....:D (unless someone wants to donate):D

Okay,, off the topic,, but on the drivers' side.. with the door panel off... there is a square box just hanging (on mine that is),, next to where the door light is plugged in...
WHAT IS THIS?

-Chris

Um, if it's white then it's the box the door light sits inside of. Otherwise, I don't know.

Originally posted by woodychitwn
Um, if it's white then it's the box the door light sits inside of. Otherwise, I don't know.

LOL,, no CHitty,, it has its own harness....:D

-Chris

I think it has something to do with the power windows.

hey 88!,,:D ....Thats what I thought too,, but its not connected to anything,,, some kind of resistance network or something?.........hmmm...vwwweerrrryyyyy peccuulliiiiarrrr.....:D

-CHris

(by the way,, the speakers sound great now):D

-CHris

I used to have a 90 taurus SHO and I cut that piece off on accident and I had no power windows:(

:eek: how did you cut it of by accident?!!:eek: ..THat Mother has about 20 freaking wires comming out of it.....:D ..just messing with ya bro!

-CHris

What does this box look like? I'm trying to picture it and I'm drawing a blank. Is it inside the door or on the interior side of the vapor shield?

woody,, its between the door panel and the metal door...ya know.. NOT inside the door where the window motor is,,, but just between the outside panel,, and the metal door frame.....

its secured by a screw directly to the plastic door panel that you take off...

hope that helped

alarm system?..but i tried the turning on the key 3 times stuff to see if it already had a remote entry and it didnt do anything...

-chris

Its along story Foxx:D

Originally posted by 88vert
Its along story Foxx:D

(thumbs up),,,lol,, bro,, Im a Mechanical engineer,, and I ALWAYS seem to break something while trying to fix something else... oh well,:D

-Chris

Is this the driver's side door or Passenger's? I never opened up the driver's side. Do you have power seats with memory? Or one of those keyless entry panels? Now I just wanna know. Maybe the government is tracking you and it's some sort of Lo-Jack device...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol,, woody,, IT JUST MIGHT BE THE GOVERMENT,, when i bought the explorer it had a bullet hole in the drivers side door!:eek: :D

Its the driver side door by the way.... and i have the 92 XLT so its power everything,,, but I dont believe it has memory for the seats... and no i dont have a keyless entry pad....;)

-Chris

Back