Popping/Creaking in Front Pass. Wheel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping/Creaking in Front Pass. Wheel

Popping?Creaking?

My EX has been doing the same thing ( I think). In reverse, you crank the wheel to the left almost all the way and sometimes POP! and now its doing it on the right side. I took it to a FORD dealer and they said aggghhh duh I dont see a problem with anything. Great human beings the best I can find representing FORD motors in AZ. I believe its only inherent in the 91-94 models. Ive got brand new wheel bearings. So what gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sound isn't always caused by the bearings, more often it is the bushing, first gen ex's are now old enough that these parts need replacing, I have replaced every bushing in my ex and at 178,000 miles I have no popping or creaking.:D

well i have the same thing on my 2001 and its going in to the dealer for it.. i will let you know what they find..

Well, I went out and cranked the nut down on the shocks until the bushings are almost squeezed out the side and I am still getting the creaking noise. All you have to do is push up and down on the front passenger side and it is there. How far down should the nut on the top of the front shock be anyway?

I can't figure this one out. Suspension shop said everything as far as bushings/springs/shocks/etc were fine.

Update:

Just went out to the store in our Winter Wonderland here in NC. I rode around with the manual hubs locked and had to put it into 4x4 here and there to get up the icy roads. When I got back I went to back into the driveway, with 4x4 off, and the passenger side bound up then went POP really loud. I unlocked the hubs and moved forward and all was fine. What is this?

Your hubs are kapoot. Get some new ones! Ebay has some OK deals today. Have you been driving around with this noise the whole time with the hubs locked in?

Hubs were replaced with Warn Manuals almost 2 years ago. I swapped them with JDraper.

My mechanic got the wheel to bind without having the manuals locked. I was coming home yesterday through the snow and had them locked (4x4 off) so I could get around. Backed into the driveway and turned the wheel tight and POP.

Mine pops like that all the time. I think you'll find it is common. I have a real recent thread on it. Most guys think it is just the coil reseating itself or something. Alot have replaced everything to no avail.

Yeah I read your thread. The weird thing is we have snow today, I have been out and about in it, and no creak/pop. :confused:

POP

always start with the simple things first. Never mind jumping to the gearbox and stuff right away, check obviouse things first. The first place i would look, is check your front brake slides. The little silver things with rubber in the middle that hold the front calipers on. Look at the rubber inside (look through the end) and see if it looks beat up or how much is left. It should be about 1/4 inch from the end of the steel. I had the same problem, actually i still do. Anyway, it could be your caliper moving up and down as you press the brakes. Good luck.

Thanks Tiger, good point. I've been meaning to regrease the slide rails so I'll check that out this weekend. Other than that, I'll probably send it back to the mechanic and get him to tighten the following:

Sway Bar
Tie Rod
Radius Arm
Ball Joint
Coil Spring bolt

Back