• Register Today It's free!

Noise from front end

DSB3272

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. A cpuple of weeks ago it started making a weird noise, when I drove over a speed bump the front end makes like a rubbing or creaking sound. Now I know over time a car has things happen, but my car has only 11000 miles on it. Does anybody have any idea what it could be, and was this a recall or something. It sounds like the springs or bushings, but I am not a mechanic so I don't know. If anybody is familiar with this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it only do it when you hit a bump? If it sounds like rubbing, check around to see if anything is in fact rubbing.

Front end noise

Everything looks fine up there. But it is more of a squeaking noise, like the springs or something now. It happens when I go over a speed bump or something similar, or any kind of SMOOTH bump.When the wheels go up, the noise is there. I wanna take it to the ford dealer, but I want them to FIX IT, and I figured if somebody out there had this problem, they could tell me what it is, so the dealership don't give me the runaround.

Thanks,
Dave

I have a 93 EB and mine does the EXACT same noise when the truck bounces up and down. Mine definately comes from the passenger side front. I can even cause the noise by pushing down on the passenger side front corner. Maybe this thread can help both our problems

There is a lot of info available on this topic. Do a search for "clunk" or/and "squeak" and "front end". A lot of Explorers of all years and milage seem to do this. Mine has been doing it for several years (93 XLT). Some say radius arm bushings, some say front CV joint, brake calipers, and many other front suspension related components. It seems to be one or the other for different people. Some get it resolved, some don't.

Good luck and let us all know what you find.

Ed

my dad has the same thing on his 2002 and i have it on my 2001mine was just fixed by the dealer it was the bumper stops.. and my dads has yet to be fixed..

My speed bump squeek is coming from the driver's side lower control arm bushings. My front differential has a slight leak and threw gear oil onto my lower control arm bushing. The oil on my rubber bushing is causing mine to make a horrendous squeek (squish type) sound whenever I go over a speed bump. I've tried soaking it with Simple Green and then hosed it off. It quieted it down some, but is still there a bit. Mine only acts up when it is cold out, which is only about 3 months out of the year here.

Back