What Size and Model Flowmaster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Size and Model Flowmaster?

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I'm gonna order a flowmaster muufler but I don't know what series I should get. On their website it lists the stock pipes as dual 2.25" ins and one 3" out. I know most of you prefer the 40 series. With the 40 series do I have to get a custom y-pipe and also do you guys running the 40 series experience a lot of interior droning. Also on their website it lists the recommended as being the 70 series. I haven't heard much on this series and was wondering how it sounds. If you could please post the series and size you have that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance, Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the stocker is a dual 2.25 in and a single 2.5 out. they dont have a 3" out stock. i have a 3" in/out 40 series, and had a shop use a dual 2.25 to single 3" adapter. it is louder in the truck than it is outside, and it has gone from cool to downright annoying. BUT, i have a turndown, and there is no tailpipe exiting from the truck. this is one reason why it "drones" so bad.

if you are only gonna go with minor bolt ons (no charger or nitrous in the future) i would go with the SUV 50 series. it has dual 2.25 in and dual 2.25 out, and will sound great, but not be loud in the interior.

the 3" 40 series sounds like a cross between a stout 5.0 mustang and a big block. i have had alot of mustang guys tell me they wish their car sounded like my truck. but, its annoying and im gonna do something different real soon.

Originally posted by james t
i would go with the SUV 50 series. it has dual 2.25 in and dual 2.25 out, and will sound great, but not be loud in the interior.

Pretty quiet at idle ?
Pretty quiet at 65 mph ?
Roars when you stand on the gas ?

Part of my Christmas bonus check is gonna go to exhaust. 5.0 Mountianer asked the question I wanted to ask.
( thanks man ! :) )

i dont really know what it will sound like on a V6, but i have a friend with one on a 96 F150. the truck has headers, stock cats, and that SUV muffler. at idle, it is barely louder than stock (re: not at all noticable inside the truck). cruising around town, cruising down interstate, it is also barely louder than stock (once again, not at all noticable). when he gets on it, it sounds like a 88-93 mustang with flows (we have all heard one). in other words, it is only loud when you want it to be loud, and even then its not obnoxiously loud.:confused:

The 50 Series sounds good on my SOHC.

Originally posted by james t
it is only loud when you want it to be loud, and even then its not obnoxiously loud.:confused:

BINGO !!

Sold !

oh, i almost forgot, Chris(98FordX24) has the SUV dual in/dual out on his truck. pics of the muffler are in his sig.;)

Thats right, I gotta represent!

I think I'm gonna go with the 50 series, but I just wanna make sure I'm gonna hear a difference. I don't want to spend the money if its going to sound like its stock. Just putting on a muffler isn't going to show any performance gains. I'm looking for that 5.0 sound but I don't want it to be so loud that I have to scream at the person next to me or have excessive droning. I'm stuck trying to make a decision. Also is the only time that you can tell a difference between stock and the 50 series is when you get on it hard? Thanks for all the input guys.

5.0 mounty.... whats your email address?

I went with 2 single inlet/outlet Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. They were a tight fit. A 50 series dual in/out would be easier to install.

Originally posted by 5.0 Mountaineer
I think I'm gonna go with the 50 series, but I just wanna make sure I'm gonna hear a difference. I don't want to spend the money if its going to sound like its stock. Also is the only time that you can tell a difference between stock and the 50 series is when you get on it hard? Thanks for all the input guys.
i promise, you will hear a difference ALL of the time. it just wont be loud. it will be real throaty at idle, real throaty around town, and just barely loud wide open. it will sound like a mustang, without "pressurizing" the interior like mine does. lol

I just installed the catback flowmaster w/delta 50. Since my X is just a 4.0 with back to back cat's the sound is just a step above normal at idle but at say 3-5000 rpm it has a deep low growl. Im happy with the construction and think its worth the $100 or whatever they charge for just the muffler.:)

Originally posted by HH1
Im happy with the construction and think its worth the $100 or whatever they charge for just the muffler.:)

Yeah the Flowmaster is made pretty well. Its an all aluminum muffler, so it shouldn't rust. The part that will eventually get you is the welds. They will eventually rust out. I have one on my S10 that I need to replace, but its lasted 6 yrs and 100,000 miles, so thats pretty damn good.

Hmm, I'm thinking of going with the 50 series myself. Should I buy the whole cat-back system that includes that muffler or just add the muffler to my current system? I'm not JUST going for sound but also some better gas mileage. Would just the muffler help with that?

You could buy just the muffler and then take it to a shop and have them bend you a tail pipe. That way it would get rid of the resonator and would probably be cheaper than the whole catback system.

50 series dual in dual out

have that installed, make them take it out dual style.... check out my pics at cardomain

www.cardomain.com/id/danniexp

or email me and I'll send you an mpeg

I changed my mind im definately going for the 40 series delta flow. I was going to order it tonight but, I didn't know if I should get the single offset inlet 3.00 inches, dual outlet 2.50 inches or the single center inlet 3.00 inches, dual outlet 2.25 inches. I appreciate all your help! Thanks, Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I dont think they make a 40 series dual in/dual out. I would say go for the center 3" and use a Y pipe from the 2 pipes already there. That will bring them together right to the center.

Back