Getting exhaust... V Flow vs Flowmaster vs Magnaflow vs ? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting exhaust... V Flow vs Flowmaster vs Magnaflow vs ?

Originally posted by hydroxy
just incase there was any confusion... The guy said v-force was an exact copy of the flowmaster (their patent ran out), it was just cheaper (muffler was $50). The $189 price was for everything (install, pipes, muffler - etc).

Do you have a website for this "V-Force"? I may try one for my S10. The Flowmaster is 8 yrs old and its about shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
They have any style you could want, here's some from their Stainless Steel line which is the most popular muffler http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-back/03ss/03stainlesssteel.htm , or just go to www.Magnaflow.com and see all their other products.

I just like "True" duals cause you end up with a more throaty and aggressive sound, as I've heard 5.0 Explorers running dual in/dual out mufflers and true duals like RTstorks which end up sounding better if you want to spend the extra money.

SaleenEXP,
Do you know if Magnaflow has kits for 5.0's? Their web-site has this:

Ford Explorer/Mountaineer

Year Engine, Body Specifications System
96-99 4.0L, V6, OHC, 4Dr 2.5" Mandrel-Bent Stainless Steel System, 3.5" Single SS Tip, Side Exit (available early 2002) 15610
00-01 4.0L, V6, OHC, 4Dr 2.5" Mandrel-Bent Stainless Steel System, 3.5" Single SS Tip, Side Exit (available early 2002) 15695

No listing for a 5 liter. :(

Lou.

No website for the V-force. No clue where to get them except for the shop I had it done it.

Triangle Service Center (Virginia)

703-221-4505
ask for Digger.

you can ask him where to get them I'm guessing.

Another thing I noticed with the new muffler, is that when accelerating (when already moving) there is a slightly less chance of the Ex downshifting. Which I love, because I've spent tons of time learning exactly how much gas I can apply before it downshifts (I HATE DOWNSHIFTING). I know downshifting is necessary to get power, but sometimes I'd rather be a little slower then feel it shift.

I have felt a VERY slight loss in torque, but I do think I gained some hp. Also, it almost seems like I can feel the engine running more freely (maybe my imagination?)

Originally posted by SVO LOU
Do you know if Magnaflow has kits for 5.0's?

You are better off to just buy a Magnaflow muffler and the have a muffler shop weld it in place of the stock muffler. Even if they offered a kit, you would probably come out cheaper. I bought my Flowmasters and had a shop weld them in with some chrome tips. I think it cost $250. You can get it setup anyway you like and also get the chrome tips that you want.

I just happened to look at the exhaust today, and there was rust forming at the tip. I took out the dremel, cleaned it up, and put some high temp silver rustoleum on it.

Should I be worrying about rust anywhere else?

Yep. I'm back!

Hydroxy, it IS just your imagination! Ha ha ha...

(Just kidding...):D

yea, thats what I was thinking... I tend to imagine a lot these days

Muffler Recommendation

I have a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler on my Explorer. I have the stock piping and I think it sounds pretty good for a V-6. Its got a pretty nice low volume rumble at idle, and sounds awesome when cruising in 3rd gear at about 2 grand. I haven't noticed ANY interior noise mainly cause the 94 had A LOT of interior engine noise. SO I might suggest trying The Super Turbo from Dynomax.

What do you all think?

i know this is a very old thread but i can tell you all where the V Force muffler comes from...

a mechanic friend of mine told me that a few years back the patent of flowmasters had run out and they did not renew it right away so V Force took and copied their design and started selling it.

Back