Antifreeze leak...need a little help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze leak...need a little help

Pissant22

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
When I first bought my 94' XLT Explorer about 4 months ago we took it to a shop to get it checked out and they claimed there was a tiny leak some where near the cylinder head that was leaking coolant. The mechanic said he couldn't even find it with a mirror, so he ran Alumiseal through it and it seemed to cure the problem for the time being.

Now it is back, I'm putting alumiseal through it right now but I'm still unsure of how long it is going to work. What could this be, cracked cylinder head? a header gasket? Please tell me it won't cost more than $1,000. I would just be thrilled to hear that.

-94 Explorer XLT, K&N Air Filter, SuperChip, 30" BFG All Terrains, Kenwood MP3 Deck, Bosch Plugs/Wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

without tearing apart your truck and being there, i can't diagnose the problem... it could mean a new motor, or it could be something as simple as bolts needing to be retorqued...... try retorquing all you engine bolts, then if that doesnt do it, replace the gasket, if that doesnt do it, work from there

The 4.0L Ford is known for loosing torque on the intake manifold bolts. When this happens it is possible for the intake gasket to go, causing it to loose coolant. Alumaseal is nothing more than a band ade fix. You are more than likely looking at having the intake gaskets replaced (at the least).

Prices? Labor? Any other possibilities, I've also heard of things called Freeze plugs? Any potential thing with that?

Could be a loose intake, blown head gasket, or cracked head. Is it running hot? Tighten the intake bolts first. If it works then you fixed it for free. If its a head gasket or cracked head, it will be pretty expensive. Good luck and keep us posted!

A friend with a 91 explorer EB edition around my area had the exact same problems. For him, it was a head gasket and I just called a shop around here and they estimated 300$ for parts and labor so I hope that is all and nothing more and I can have my truck running good for this xmas break.

I think the intake gasket has been an issue for several members here, as well as my self. Before I would fork over three hundred for head work, I would try intake gasket first. Is it leaking out, or you just loosing coolant? I found mine as it was running down the front of the motor on the right side.

Back