Wierd Ranger Noise

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
OK, we all know i have a wrecked explorer... but this ? is about my dad's 1998 ranger... here is the deal.... it makes a wierd chirping sound... it isnt the tire or the breaks.... its mainly only heard at idle like at a stop or parked... my dad says it doesnt chirp at the first startup of the day, it takes about 15-20 minutes before it starts... the sound doesnt go away..... he thinks it may be belt related? anyone got any ideas?
not sure if it matters or not... but it is a 3.0 liter v6, 4x2 automatic with a 3.73 open rearend... it has a/c and power steering.... my dad said he thinks it may be related to the power steering pump's pulley as he said it doesnt completely freewheel (it binds up in some places) when there isnt a belt on it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMPer cars are cool! ;)

My dad's '94 X does the same thing. It chirps at idle, and the belt looks kind of shiny on the non- groove side. I think the noise comes from the belt slightly slipping on the the pulleys that the belt goes around backwards on. Try replacing the belt.....

Oh yeah, Bumper cars are one of the best rides in amusement parks LOL!

it isnt the belt... hes replaced a few of them... his truck has done it for awhile now.....and he finally said its getting annoying.... at startup, it is fine..... but after about 20 minutes if driving... the noise is back......

Originally posted by jimabena74
it isnt the belt... hes replaced a few of them... his truck has done it for awhile now.....and he finally said its getting annoying.... at startup, it is fine..... but after about 20 minutes if driving... the noise is back......
I'm stumped. It must be some bearings in something heating up and starting to fail after 20 min. of driving....

My 98 4.0 ranger makes a whinning sound. It only does it on hot days. My mechanic says it is the fuel pump. Ford dealership says that nothing is wrong with the fuel pump. I think it is an air bubble in the fuel line, but I have not tried to purge the lines. Now it is cold and the sound is gone. I will wait til next spring to tes my theory. It is a very annoying sound.

This is a wild guess but

Maybe it's air rushing past the throttle body plate? Maybe at idle the plate isn't quite coming to rest flush with the lip in the TB and as a result enough air can go by to make the chirping noise.

Check the waterpump or the alternator with a sounding device. (i.e. screwdriver against the bearing area or as close as you can get to it)

I found the waterpump usually sound that way in the early stages of failure.

I think my problem is a fuel supply problem. The engine will stumble and nearly stall. The alternator is new. This problem has been going on for the last three years. It has gotten worse. The fuel filter has been replaced and the fuel pressure regulator has been tested and is functioning properly.

Try the idler pulley. There is a little spring in there that after it heats up can contact the inside of the pulley. You can feelit if you stick your finger in there...w/ the engine off of course! just tweak it back a little and your problem could be solved.

Another thing to check is the Belt tensioner pully. Mine started to make a little noise and I just ignored it. Well, I ignored it till it exploded on Wolf Creek pass at 1am. The bearing had siezed and the pulley just disingrated.

If you have 100k or more I would replace it before it goes.

Mine used to do the same thing on cold mornings, and would only do it til it was warmed up. Then it stopped one day, and now it doesn't do it at all, even when it's rally col doutside. Never figured it out.

I found some thresds on a ranger site. They say that it may be the idle air control valve. Tehy also say it can be lubricated with WD-40, or replaced for less than $100 in parts. Mine only does it when it is warm, so I have not checked yet.

If the IAC is going bad, your truck would be stalling out and doing other odd things like that. I doubt this is the problem, but my SOHC had this problem, and I had it cleaned out by my mechanic with carb. cleaner and it was fine. No replacement parts neccessary :D

Back