Torco Oil and HP gain???????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torco Oil and HP gain????????

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Take a look at this site... improved HP by using oil.

Dead Link Removed

Anyone ever used it? Comments.......

Torco is supposed to make good products. However, their test is a comparison of a petroleum based product and a synthetic based product. I believe any good synthetic oil will show an improvement over petroleum do to a decrease in friction.

Reduced friction for better gas mileage, more power and increased engine longevity are the main selling points for synthetics so their test doesn't surprise me.

Torco...NEO...RedLine...Royal Purple

From what research I've done, Torco and NEO are as close to a 'true' synthetic as you can use. Both use ester and di-ester base stocks. Mobil 1 and I'm SURE that Amsoil use PAO's as a base stock. There was an episode on TNN ( Horsepower TV ) where they switched out the dino oil with Royal purple and it showed a significant HP increase. Does RP work better than M1...maybe...is M1 a good oil...yes.

All I know about Amsoil, is that, I just won't buy into the extended oil drain idea, even with a quadruple heart by-pass, triple filter with an over the top coffee filter and cotton gauze tea strainer.....SORRY !!!!

Right now I switched to M1 and an M1 filter, ran it for 3300 miles changed the filter to a Motorcraft FL-820s and I will leave the same oil in there for another 2700-3000 miles. At that point I will take an oil sample and send it to BlackStone labs. I used to get 6K miles from Mobil's Delvac 15w-40 diesel oil ('97 F250HD Powerstroke ) and if my lab results from the diesel showed that I could get OVER 6K miles from the same oil/filter combo, I should get about the same from M1 by changing the filter and topping off the oil.
I wll post the results ASAP.

BTW, I do about an 80/20 hiway to city driving style.

JR

Even though I use Amsoil and have read the tests showing the oil good for 10,000+ miles, I still change my oil every 6,000 miles and my filter every 3,000 miles. So I may be wasting oil, but with 4 vehicles and a motorcycle, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on my Explorer. I'm going to stick to my oil change intervals, so the "tree hugging hippies" can piss off. :cool:

Back