Filters: Best ones to buy locally

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I've been using the search feature for about an hour now, but I haven't been able to find anything definite (not that there ever is anything definite )

I have a 1997 v8 5.0 with 4r70w, AWD, and 107k mi that I just purchased. I'm not sure of the maintence history - so I want to do EVERYTHING this weekend:
1) Fuel Filter
2) Engine Oil Change
3) Transmission Filter and Fluid change, pan drop
4) Antifreeze flush and fluid change
5) Transfer case fluid change
6) Front and rear diff fluid change
7) Grease points
8) Clean MAF, TB and IAC
9) Spark plugs and wires
10) Air Filter
11) PCV Valve

Some Questions:

1)How does this list look - anything I should add to it?
2) What filters should I be using for the transmission, would the Pep Boys/Autozone filter be OK, or should I get something from the dealer?
3) For the diffs (The truck has the LS), what gear oil should I use, and which LS additive?
4) T-Case - synthetic or no?
5) Where are the grease points?

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see NOTHING on that list about a large pizza with sausage and extra cheeze !!!
Dang it man , how you gonna do a day worth of work on an empty belly !!!!!

List sounds good to me other wise. Don't forget to top off your windhield washer fluid.
Check brakes ( pads and fluid ) too man.

While undertaking this project I would recommend adding an external filter for the tranny as well as doing a complete flush.

Good luck.....

hate to almost burst your bubble...;) but i'm almost positive you aren't supposed to clean the throttle body. I know the tb on my 4.0L SOHC says not to, as did the tb on my 4.6L V8 Lincoln Mark VIII. In fact, speaking of my wonderful former car, it also had the 4r70w tranny...or was it the AODE? or is there a difference?? In any case, that tranny was by far the weak link in that drivetrain, so I definately second the reccomendation for the tranny cooler. Somewhere a guy was able to put an f-250's external tranny cooler into his car, which may also work for your truck.

Oh, and don't forget to check your engine timing chain, each and every fuel injector o-ring, as well as the acoustic properties of the speaker grills. (I swear those grills cut half a decibel at around 17,897 Hz. Or was it 17,896.5 Hz?) That should fill out your list nicely. That and some beer to go with your pizza.

(Just kidding, except for the beer)

Have fun,
Isaac

Pizza and beer have been added to the list. thanks guys, now I think it's getting close to complete.

The truck already has a trans cooler on it, and a pretty good sized one at that. It looks factory.

I was also thinking of a brake fluid flush and fluid change. I've bled brakes on older (Non-ABS cars) with my mightyvac, how different would the X be with the ABS system, anything to watch out for?

Al, the external trans filter, what do you recommend? (I'll do a search as well)

Also, any pointers on grease points and internal tranny filter manufacturer.

Thanks,
Aaron

bleeding the abs on explorers is the same as the old cars.... start rear right, then rear left then front right then front left

The following thread details how several of us have installed an external tranny filter.,,

Dead Link Removed

Good luck....

Many of us clean the maf sensor with great results. Do a search in the forum and you'll see. Just remove it and spray it really good with carb cleaner. Let it dry and put it back in. Mine idles MUCH smoother since I did it a couple of weeks ago.

good idea. i'll clean mine too. has anyone, though, seen adverse effects from trying to clean the tb anyway?

Originally posted by izackary
good idea. i'll clean mine too. has anyone, though, seen adverse effects from trying to clean the tb anyway?
Think of it this way, if your TB is dirty, then the "coating" is not working, so you can clean it. :)

no kidding :p I cleaned the one on my mark anyways. that along with replacing my fuel filter and cleaning my K&N seemed to help a lot.

As long as you use a "Throttle body cleaner" and not just regular carb cleaner, the coating will not be damaged.

Back