Pics of problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pics of problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy you have alot of work a head of you:(

did you just pick this up? cus it seems like u have a good winter project on your hands.. alot of hard work.. good luck

No

I've had this from about 96'. However the rust was pretty well contained I had thought. I bought a new car and had it off the road for a summer....apparently the "sitting" resulted in a bunch of rust now being formed.

I'm not so concerned about the fenders, the rockers or the dog's...but the area btwn hte cab and the rocker and the window frames worry me....any ideas?

Would it be easier to get some doors out of a junkyard:D

sand it down and bed line it =)

body work

here is what i recomend you do.
take 80 grit and a sander and cut through all of that rust down to clean shiny metal..
duy you some duraglass(like bondo,but its fiberglass and it is not as porus so it dosent retain as much water)i.e. the rust will not come back as soon.
after you have all of your rust patches fixed buy you some u-tech 2k primer and prime those spots.Then go over the whole vehicle with 220 grit and then some 320 git take you vehicle to your local body shop and all youll have to pay for is the actuall paint job, no body work or prep...if you need more help i can do a detailed write up for you just email me with some pic of your cncern and ill help you all i can

Doors!!

Can anyone help me locate doors out of a yard that arent rusted? I need front and rear doors, front fenders and the rockers and dogs, but i think i'll get those through the new site listings. however...If I can save money by getting the used front fenders and doors, I'll go that way ... anyone know of a good yard? Color wont matter since i'll repaint afterward ...

Thanks!!

Noel

I'm curious about the area next to the gas tank. Any rust there?

I'm just curious as to how you Ex went from the nice pics on your site to the current state it is in... I wouldn't think 2-3 months sitting on the lawn (or neighbor's lawn?) would cause THAT much rust..

how long is "a summer" ?

With ALL that work don't you think it's better (money wise) to just save your money and buy a 95+ Explorer? You'd spend a lot more upfront but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Or maybe not... just trying to help.

Cost

Well looks like i'm going to keep the Xplorer....and buy my brother's 97' Chevy 1500 extended cab. Thats the case for now anyway... have to see what happens. Should give me the opportunity to work on the explorer in small pieces...

Noel

Back