• Register Today It's free!

pinging in engine

ben2330

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
I am starting to get this small pinging when my 98 explorer 4wd is in drive. It is very distinctive when the car shifts down to overdrive or just at low rpm's. Can anyone give me pointers on what I can do? I really could use it before I make a $$ mistake. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine do you have? First thing I'd do is clean the MAS (mass air sensor) (also referred to as MAF by some people). The filaments get dirty and send false readings to the computer. After cleaning, reset your computer. If the pinging returns, we can discuss other possible causes. Try using the search button up above to find more info on how to clean the MAS. I think there is a thread recently with detailed instructions.

there are 2 things i know you can do, im sure there are better ways to approach but these wont hurt to try......

1) use higher octane fuel when you fill up

2) get the timing advanced

...or you can pull the octane shorting block, but none of that is really solving your pinging problem, only hiding it.

Yup, definately get the problem fixed, don't just compensate for it.

Retard

Originally posted by MO_GUY

2) get the timing advanced

Retarded you mean- advancing the timing will cause more ping.

Check the market thoroughly- vacuum leaks, plugs, wires. At a minimum clean the TB, intake , and MAS. Check the cooling system too.

you are correct, my fault, you must retard the timing a few degrees

Yup, just retard the timing a few degrees.

Spiper, where is Collins, MO at?

About 60 miles N of Springfield at the intersection of 13 and 54 hwy.

wow i wonder how close you are to me, hwy 54 runs right through town here, im not sure how far it goes toward St. Louis im gonna check out mapquest and see what it says

shows how much i know about Missouri, ive lived here for about 3 years thinking springfield was over by St. Louis mapquest says you are about 4 hours away from me

Yea, you are just E of Mexico. 54 runs between Hannibal and STL and goes through Bowling Green and Louisiana into Illinois. Click on the KC area explorer in my signature and check it out. Everyone there is from MO KS and IA

What is going on? Last week Cinderella City just disappeared, now Missouri has moved just east of Mexico? :D

LOL.....its actually a city here in Misery, they have this thing about naming city's after other countries

we have

Cuba
Mexico
Cairo
Columbia

im sure there are many others but ive only lived here 3 yrs, that the ones i know of

just one thing

Cairo is not a country. LOL
Had to say it before someone else did.

Beat me to it. How ya doin? Shouldnt you be off blasting tangos?

I was

I have been back since Aug. Had a crappy time over there. I was up there with Campo at xmas time.

I hope ben2330 doesn't mind y'all hijacking his thread :rolleyes:

Can we try to keep this thread to helping the newbie?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is the v8 engine. It never starting to make that sound until recently. It almost sounds either like a pinging or a girgling, if you can understand that. I would rather fix the problem than hide. I am poor enough as it is. Yes, I am new to this so I have no idea what I am doing on here. Thanks guys for all your help.

Back