• Register Today It's free!

Centerforce Clutch

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
ever since I put on my suspension lift and started driving around with bigger tires my clutch has gone sour. It was replaced at 56000 now I am nearing 100000 and I think its time to replace it again. I am havin lots of trouble shiftin, or getting into or out of gear. I have thoroughly explored the reasons for this and have concluded (with the help of some mechanic friends) that the clutch, specifically the master cylinder is the problem. I am thinking of getting a centerforce clutch because I am tryin to make my truck into one that is worthwhile offroad. Mating this clutch to the stock tranny, which is original, might not be such a good idea I fear. I dont really care or know but my buddies are sayin that a clutch like centerforces grabs so well that it could completely burn out the tranny. Has anyone had any problems or heard of any problems with the centerforce clutch and the stock transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm not mistaken, Rick has a Centerforce clutch, perhaps he could chime in...

I have one also, on my 94. When my tranny went, I replaced everything related. The clutch/tranny seem fine after 7K miles. Also if the truck is hard to shift, it may be the slave cylinder, not the clutch. The slave cylinder is what press on & off the presure plate to release or engage the clutch.

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction. It's worked great for at least a couple years now. No problems to report.

I love my Centerforce Dual Friction. No slippage for me.

First i'd flush and bleed new brake fluid through the cutch system.
If that dosen't work, try either replacing or rebuilding the hydraulics (Master and slave cyls) before tearing into the clutch. Much cheaper and easier to do.

Centerforce clutches are very well made. Alot of the Mustang guys are using them at the drag strips.

V8Boatbuilder, you have to drop the transmission to get to the slave cylinder. Might as well replace the clutch while you got the tranny out.

I'm doing my brother right now and his orginal has 122k on it and it looks exactly like the new one i'm putting in. Some where faster then others, just depends on your driving habbits. Slave cylinders cause a lot of problems and it sucks cause you have to pull everything down just to change that one part. To me, if it's been a while since it's been done, might as well do it all at once. This isn't a job that you want to be doing every weekend.

Happy trails!!

Is 42,000 miles on a clutch all that bad for a truck with big tires and going off-road?

Well, i could see it happening. If you had gears like a 3.55 or 3.73s and you did a lot of city driving. I know with my 31's and 3.73 i can't hardly use 4wd HIGH off road cause it wants to slip on the clutch. So it's possible.

Happy trails!!

Oops... didn't know that about the internal slaves. I should keep my mouth shut untill i fact check about trucks I don't have!!! My previous experiance has been on other stick shifts that have external slaves, and in both cars the slaves went bad but the clutch itself was A-OK

I checked around at a few shops here and heard "for what you do with your truck go with the Center Force Dual Friction". I have only had it a short time (1 Tellico trip) and no problems or complaints. And definitely replace the slave when you have it down.

BTW, I am on my 3rd tranny, this time when I replaced the clutch I had to replace the flywheel too. Oh yea, my truck had 235,000 miles on it.:D

the clutch is bad im sure...its slippin bad and its been 45000 miles since it was replaced. We thought that mabye the master cylinder was the problem, the slave we decided wasnt...i want to put in this centerforce or whatever myself...Where can i get a Centerforce cheaply and what tools are needed to install it? How hard is it to install? I am pretty proficient with my truck, I do all the maintenence myself and put on the lift myself, i dont have a lot of tools though. I am definetly changin the clutch and probably the master and slave so now i need to try and spend as little money possible

I just wish a Dual Friction was available for the R1HD tranny. Centerforce only has the CFI listed for my truck. :(

--Sean

I ordered mine from Summit Racing. Go to the Centerforce web site and look up the part number then order it from Summit.

Centerforce Dual friction in mine, no complaints

i would love a dual friction...but i think that it would kill my tranny much faster than it already is dieing cuase its old...plus its more than 200$ more than the Centerforce II or another clutch like that. Is the money really worth it? What am i gonna get with the dual friction that i wont with another aftermarket clutch thats good? I dont know if its worth killin my tranny faster for a clutch like that....what do ya'll think?

Well, I looked on 4wheelparts.com and a dual-friction is only on average $100 more then a centerforce II, BUT you can't get a centerforce II for a 4.0, only a dual friction. I don't know about other brands of aftermarket clutches, but the centerforce clutches can take a severe beating compared to the OEM unit. The major difference that I have witnessed is that when you get a stock clutch hot, it gets greasy and slips, but the Dual Friction won't say die. I haven't had mine long, but it's been hot a couple of times and it has never slipped. My friend on the other hand has been running a centerforce II in a Bronco II for a while now and has beat the hell outta it and it never gave up.

I won't worry about it killing you tranny any faster unless you like to dump the clutch a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Peter
Is the money really worth it? What am i gonna get with the dual friction that i wont with another aftermarket clutch thats good?

Peter,

If you are looking for someone to convince you to go with the Centerforce, I don't think will happen.:) So far everyone that has posted has given their opinion and all like the Cenerforce Dual Friction. I don't mean to sound harsh, just trying to figure out what you are looking for so we can help.:(

Back