• Register Today It's free!

Floor Shifter conversion

frj00

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4wd 4.0 SOHC
Has anyone attemptd this, Looking at the B&M megas ****er anysuggestions..It'a a99 sport with the SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no info from me, sorry
but if you could pull it off.....damn....:D

Yeah it would be nice..but it seems that a kit is not made for any shifter to be converted for this model I wonder if anyone else has attempted this and if so where did they score the hardware

Shouldnt be too bad, however getting the adjustment correct can be a PITA. Your column shift is a cable shifter, any floor shifter that uses a cable should work with a little fabrication.........

My question is what do you do with the sttering column? Convert ot a stick shift column?

I want the lever type e-brake, that way I can hit it while offroading to slide corners!!! :D

The european model has a floor shifter. You could probably put one of those in, but its kinda backwards so I'm not sure if it would fit right or not.

You mean that you want this:
Shifter.JPG

and this:
Handbrake.JPG

Standard on all RHD models so the parts must be available somewhere. Hope this helps.

Howard/ floorshifter

would it be possible to find out what trans they came in? what did you mean by backwards? i wonder if i could track down a scrap yard somewhere in the u.k. that would be willing to send a set-up, even with the hardware I could probally fit a newer style sfifter in, please let me know if you can or possibly steer me in the right direction to find out
fred

You could probably get the necessary parts new from torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com

I suggest emailing him and telling him what you have in mind.

Backwards, as in everything would be viewable/workable from the passenger seat, not the drivers.

thanks for the link to contact, sent him an e-mail and contacted a UK company that has parts for sale
thanks again

Let us know what turns up. I might be interested in doing this, too, as I have always hated column shifters...always felt weak to me.

frj00

Hope it all works out. If not I'll do some research for you.
We do have some x's in scrapyards accidents mostly.
All the best.
Howard

howard, there is another thread much like this one floating around here somewhere... i saw it within the past week... and your picture was posted by another member

Thanks Jim perhaps I should claim copyright:D . If it helps I don't mind after all that is why we are all members of this forum.

PS. If it helps anyone then I am quite happy to take more detailed pictures (even with some strip down).

i knew you wouldnt mind ;) i merely said that so you could look for the other one and see if you could help some of the guys out even more..... if i remember correctly, that one was more informative than this one....

Ford Parts direct does not deal withg Euro parts and the two other euro companies I mailed came back with an error message....going to have to due some more surfing

If this is of any help http://www.intapart.com/ This is a uk scrap yard that will ship worldwide and they are breaking 4 uk explorers at the momment.

Howard more detailed picturtes would be grteat to see if it could be converted to lefthanded and what type of cable and system it uses, do you have a pushbutton for the overdrive on the dash?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back