• Register Today It's free!

Where is my rear axle drain plug?

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I am half way through changing my rear axle fluid. I just bought a new gasket and ripped the exle cover off. The gasket was all crumbly so it was a good thing.

I can't for the life of me find the drain plug so I can fill it up.

I can only find one plug on the opposite side of the axle cover but all it is, is a bolt with a square in the middle. I can't figure out what tool to undue it, so I don't know if this is the drain plug or not.

Can anybody help, I am almost done, but now I have to wait for an answer :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that's the fill plug. All you should need is a ratchet, can't remeber if it's 1/2" or 3/8" drive but that should do it.

Yeah that's it.

After you put the cover back on and start filling, fill until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole. The truck needs to be level.

I put in 3 liters. When I was adding it a tiny bit would spill out each time so I probably added 2.9 Liters.

Should I add more?

did it start coming out of the fill hole when it was on leval ground? if yes... then you put enough... if no, then add till it does

No I just added 3 Liters as that is what the Haynes manual says and a few other people here. Is it bad if it is not level to the drain plug?

I added 75w90 synthetic when I drained the rear axle. Since I should top it off is it all right to add a little 80w90 conventional. It probably only needs 1/4 of a liter(quart) or so.

Or is it really bad to mix synthetic and non syntehtic. The type are close 75w90 and 80w90.

I want to do this as I already have a brand new container of 80x90 conventional. I would have to go buy a whole new container of 75w90 synthetic tomorrow(closed today) if I was to top the tiny bit off with synthetic.

you can mix the dyno with the synthetic. there is no need to go buy more synth, the dino will be fine. even though it is a different weight, it will work. it will essentially make your synthetic 75w90 a 75.1w91.25

Do regular auto stores carry the gaskets or do you have to get one from Ford?

Napa had a gasket about a year ago. RTV silicone works well, too.

i am planning on changing mine so i have a new cover i am going to put on. what kind of oil should i get? 3 liters or do i need more.

I was able to fit about 3.4 Liters in when I did mine yesterday.

With my differential cover mine took just under 5 qts.

Originally posted by Alec
With my differential cover mine took just under 5 qts.

You don't have stock though, correct?

nope.

so i should use 75w90?

I just put in 75W-140 Amsoil. Seems to work just fine. Though I have only driven it to work this morning. Did the change last night.

Like I thought, old stufff was all black and gray and smelled like it should, Ass.

The Amsoil was clear as water. The dealer that sold it to me said I should have no problems with that weight of oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back