• Register Today It's free!

KKM over Oiling HELP.. QUICK!

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I just sprayed the KKM with the K&N oil (the red stuff) to clean it and I think I may have sprayed too much!. Should I just let it dry for a couple hours or wipe it off now?

I think if I wipe it off it will wipe all of it off in places and I know the oil is needed everywhere for the filter to work right.

I've read post of where people over oil it and have idling problems but is that just because they didnt let it dry long enough??

Thanks,
Grantp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leave it in a warm place overnight ( at least ) and the xs oil should drain off.

Good luck.....

wipe it off. its better to have not enough oil on there than to have too much. either way its not the end of the world. if you got some oil on the MAF, then you can clean it later. you can even start over right now and clean it again.

for future reference, a tip i read somewhere on here a long time ago is to wad up some paper towels and stuff em in the filter before you oil it. i dont use that tip, but it might be a good idea if youre nervouse about over oiling.

tbomb, that would be me ! after the first 'over-oiling incident' i learned. But Fantasy, stuff some bounty inside and let it sit for awhile. In the meantime, clean the MAS w/Electronic Cleaner or O2 safe cleaner, that should settle it down. The MAS got a noce coat of red oil on it and needs to be cleaned...

Is it easy to mess up the MAS while cleaning? I shouldnt need to do it if I only have 19K miles right?

If I do need to do it just spray a little cleaner in there and wipe it off with a paper towel??

Thanks

If you got K&N filter oil on your maf then yes I'd say you need to clean it. Otherwise with 19k miles on it you should not need to clean the MAF.

I would never touch the MAF when you're cleaning it. If you want to that's your business but it's too fragile for that, even a q-tip can damage the filaments or leave debris on them. The spray cleaner is designed to be sprayed on and air-dried, not wiped off.

What Rhett said!
I assumed you have the cone type filter. What I do is: at every oil change while I wait for the oil to drain, I pull the K&N and I use Greased Lightning to first clean the filter. Take a handful of bounty towels and stuff them in the inside of the cone, then spray the red oil in the pleats and oil it up (I do this because it is real easy to over oil) set it aside.. If you lift up the intake tube (now without filter) about 4 inches from the opening you will see the MAS filiments through about a 3/4" hole. I use CRC Electronic cleaner (cause it has no residue and dries very quickly) and spray it good. When I have finished with the oil change, replace filter and you are good to go.
I thought you had over oiled and ran it and that would have coated the MAS, been there, done that !

I would re-clean it and oil it again lightly.

Back