• Register Today It's free!

Harbour Freight code reader

paperdesk

Reaction score
City, State
Inchelium, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried the Harbour Freight code reader? All I need right now is something to give me the codes, no real fancy stuff, and this is less than $50. Does it come with a manual? Also, since it doesn't clear the codes is it possible to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes?

Thank's for the feedback.

Ted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO it's better to get the Autozone one. It is more expensive at $140, but it comes with a full manual and clears the codes. It's not the best for your truck to reset the codes by disconnecting your battery all the time.

You can always go to Autozone and have the codes read for free, too.

Yes, this question is regarding my 98 Exp. I've seen a couple of people post that they would buy a HF one but no posts about results yet!

Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can scrape together enough $$ to buy a decent one! Do you know of any other store that reads codes for free? There aren't any Auto Zones in my area (Colville or Spokane WA).

Thanks.

Ted

If you have a laptop the cable from www.obd-2.com works pretty good. It has Ford Enhanced features, which the cheapos do not.

paperdesk,
I got your email and sorry I haven't replied. I did buy the Harbour Freight reader and it does come with a manual and an explanation of all codes. Any further info about a code can usually be found here on the boards. Unfortunately (or fortunatlely), I haven't gotten a CEL on my '96 since I got it, so I haven't had a chance to try it out. And yes, it is only a reader, not a scanner, so it simply tells you the CEL codes. For me, it was worth the $50 just to not have to go to AutoZone everytime a CEL popped up. I have never heard that reseting your computer by disconnecting the battery often is bad for the truck or battery. In fact, a lot of people say it is a good idea to reset the comp every now and then, especially during a major change in weather. Since, hopefully, the CEL doesn't light very often, I can't see where reseting the comp when it does happen can be bad.

IMO, my reader (if it does actually work and read codes) is well worth the money! But, Harbour Freight shipping charges were high and shipping was VERY slow.

Robb

You are correct that resetting the computer isn't inherently bad and I often recommend it.

However, I meant that resetting the computer very often isn't the best thing for your truck. Your computer won't be running the truck efficiently and it could lead to too many spikes and drains in the system for other components.

Thank's Robb! I surely would be cheaper to go with the HF one! I'm really tempted to go that route. Maybe there's someone here who has tried it! If I knew it worked well I'd buy it right away.

Ted

Brad, What was that about hooking up to a laptop? That's the other route I'm interested in. I've seen software/hardware combo's starting at 149. Anyone used these? What does this cable do?

Basically you get software to interact with the car and also interperet the results, and you get the cable which allows the actual connection from laptop to car. It makes your laptop a super-duper code reader and sometimes programmer (depends on the kit).

OH YEA!!!

If you own a laptop, do some research into these laptop setups. They seem VERY nice. If I ever become slightly interested in the specific engine parameters, I will get one of these.

For now, if the engine runs and if the truck moves, it is good to me. After all my other mods are done, the engine may come into play for me, but not now.

Robb

This really sounds like a good thing, since I already have a laptop I can use.

I've looked at some other sites as well as link listed above (http://www.obd-2.com/). (BTW, it looks like there's been a death in the family and maybe there won't be future support for this package?)

It seems like you need some sort of converter to allow your laptop to read the signal, is that right?

Here's what I found:
$149 Dead Link Removed
$289-489 Dead Link Removed

I guess I'm interested in either getting a simple cheap code reader or else something I can really do a lot with by hooking it up to my computer. Looking forward to any advice you guys have!

Ted

The unit from www.obd-2.com reads generic and Ford enhanced codes, and with Ford enchanced monitors about 130 values in real time. Clears codes too. It also has a record and play back mode.

It's a pretty nice set up. IMO it's one of the best without spending mega $$$$ on a professional unit. I also have a Professional Unit, an OTC 4000 Enhanced, personally the unit from OBD-2.com is all the DIY'er would need.

Alex Peper owns OBD-2 and I guess he is away right now. He will be back, trust me.

No you don't need an adapter with the cable. If you have a serial port on your laptop that's all you need.

Hmm, my laptop has no serial port- would there be a way to get it to work with USB?

Maybe this is the wrong place to be asking.. :p

Yes... you can buy USB-9pin serial adapters on Ebay for under 15 bucks, under 30 at any Best Buy or CompUSA. they are quite common, my laptop doesn't have serial either.

Back