My NEW gauges!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My NEW gauges!!!

I'm with you. I wouldn't mind getting some different guages. But I am not taking my entire dash apart again. Maybe some day if I need to get in there for something else I will get them done. But not by them selfs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I happen to have the same gauges and it only took me 2hrs to tear everything apart and install them, and that included shooting a damn needle stop around the room and wasting 20min trying to find it, but I did! So if you're slightly competent, it's not bad at all. Also, I just eye-balled mine and everything matches up pretty damn good. They don't sell two-sided scotch tape in International Falls, they don't sell anything here! But I just taped the corners w/electrical tape and you can't see the tape w/the bezel on and they work great! Except for the occasional tach needle stick ;-) So I guess a little rework is in order, but when you live up here there is nothing else to do anyway! Good luck to all who try!

I'll post a couple pics up when I get home, I'm at work now! FUN JOB :)

Just remembered, never posted a pic and don't have any of those online deals, how can I directly insert a pic or have it hosted?

Posting Pictures

You need a place that's hosting your pictures. If you don't have one, e-mail it to me and I'll give you think link to post it with.

I like to procarparts.com ones. I didn't even use doublestick tape and mine rarely stick. I also never had to remove my needles...
If I really cared I would tear it all apart again and put some doublesick tape on, but it isnt worth it for the occasional sticky tach that a swift punch to the dash will fix.
Overall about as difficult as the brown wire mod... mabey a little more IMHO.
-----Nate

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

all problems fixed, no sticking needles & the tach works great now...all gauges read correctly.....except just a slight problem now.......the battery is running low, i started it periodically while out there and i guess it still ran low with the lights on......dont see how it could have....got my friends amp in there and its hooked up but the woofer output volume was 0 so it shouldnt have been pulling any power.......oh well......just gotta get my lazy ass outside, wire it all up and put the dash back, gonna have to tell my dad to stick the charger on it when he leaves for work in the morning......

will have pics up soon hopefully......unless of course my battery completely drains

Glad to see you finally got them all hooked up. I must have been lucky when I put mine in. No real problems. My battery appears to be running low to but not too low and I dont really care about it. i did not tape mine at all. The needle stop thing seems to hold them just fine and the needles have not gotten stuck.

how'd you manage to get your speedo and tach reading correctly? Drive it around without the dash and readjust the gauges that way? That's the only way I can think of :rolleyes:

Yippie! 3 more hours of freezing my rear off and this is the finished product....

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

The only part I don't like about these gauges is the big lit up part right by the needle base, but I can live with it....they look very nice

I think this is what you are looking for

Dead Link Removed :confused:

I like the indiglo "doughnuts" maybe because they match my "PRND12" better.
235343_28_full.jpg

nice gages, i still need to install mine but its to cold for me!!

how were yall able to line up the gauges perfectly so that the lights corresponded and everything. Mine are a little Fd up and soon I am going to be pulling the dash again to re-align them. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Black Magic
I'm with you. I wouldn't mind getting some different guages. But I am not taking my entire dash apart again. Maybe some day if I need to get in there for something else I will get them done. But not by them selfs.

why? dont you have the 01 sport ones? those look the best in my opinion, thats why i stuck a set in my truck

How do you change the colors of your needles or does the new gauge faceplate do it?

Looks great though!

Thanks.

some people say that just coloring the needles with a transparency marker will change the color but then there is still the white light from the odometer so i think im going to try some colored bulbs first...

as for lining up the gauges, we used 3M double sided tape, put it around where the hole is for the needles, slip the gauges over then plug in the cluster & turn your key forward so some of the lights come on, for the right side turn off the OD , the middle use the emergency flashers, and for the left side use the check engine light...

once you get them set right push down around the needles so the tape will stick

looks good...how long did the install take

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. Looks good. I opted for the regular guages in my X. YES i must say they do suck to put in. Why in the hell did ford put the idiot lights right in the middle of the gauges. STUPID!!!. I do have one now that is crocked cause i had to take the dash apart again but i never had the needles stick on me. Also i have done these on other cars and takeing the needles off is BAD!!!. I took them off a ranger at work one time and to get them back sucked, to do the speedo i had to have someone drive at like 20-30 MPH while i stuck the needle back on. NOT FUN!.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=305051&page=2

Back