• Register Today It's free!

Lugging/Stalling at slow speed

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 91 Explorer Sport w/ manual that is having a hard time pulling a boat (or itself) up an incline from a stop.

Pulling the boat makes the car lug and stall. Recently starting up an incline caused the car to begin lugging really bad. Once I got into another gear, it was better but still present.

Going into third at anything under 30mph causes a very noticeable lugging. I can't tell if its transmission or engine related.

Anyone know what to look for? I have new wires and bosch platinum plugs. Transmission was rebuilt with new clutch about a year ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just getting old? If the clutch is not slipping then I don't think the trans is your problem. Maybe something engine tune-up related. Any check engine light? You might have to hook it up to a NGS or something like that and check sensors, etc.

I'm thinking its age related, but there are people on here with more mileage than me (144k) that still have strong engine.

I don't have any CEL. Can autozone pull any stored codes from my OBD I?

My 92 has 160K and smokes like crazy... but its strong as heck. I'd bet its just a weight issue. What kinda weight are you pulling?

The jetski and trailer only weigh about 400 to 500 pds...but my Explorer wants to stall when leaving a red light or stop sign on an incline.

It also has a surging sound/feeling when in 3rd at 1000rpm and you're heavy on the gas. I think the two are related. I tried regapping my plugs but its still there.

At highway speeds in 5th it will fly. Feels like it has more power than my departed F-150.

On a hunch, I went out and changed my Bosch Platinum plugs to Motocraft OEM plugs. Although it seems to be a little smoother, the car still bucks/surges from a stop and at 25mph in 3rd.

I can't figure out what this could be. I'm going to try tightening down the manifold bolts and the valve cover bolts.

My truck is doing the exact same things. I'd like to know what fixes your rpoblem when the time comes.

i have 86K miles, 4.0L OHV with a 5-speed, but i don't pull anything

I think you would have to do some tests to see if it is mechanical or EEC related. Check compression. Check engine codes/ and sensors. Maybe your kittys are plugged? You should be able to get well over 100k out of a 4.0.

Originally posted by RiverRat
Maybe your kittys are plugged? You should be able to get well over 100k out of a 4.0.

I'm thinking its the kittys tooo

What are KITTYS???????/

Originally posted by chowchowjp
What are KITTYS???????/

Catalytic Converters

Replace your wires. This happened to me before, and the plug wires were arching like crazy, they didn't look bad, but they were and the actually arched in the sparkplug hole, I replaced them and she purred like a kitten after that.

Tim

Thats probably the one thing that i havent done yet. I'm going this weekend and getting some motorcraft wires, hopefully thats it, if not its the kittys

Back