Squeaking Noise PS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking Noise PS?

Luis

Reaction score
Anytime, Anywhere, Any whether conditions, it happens. I hear a squeaking noise under the hood. Sounds more like a slipping belt. I replaced the belt. Checked the tensioner. Everything is okay. Sound seems to be coming from the PS. Nothing wrong with the steering and no leaks. There is no 'play' on PS pulley sideways but some play forward/backward. Is this normal? The noise started about 3 weeks ago. Done nothing unusual. Noise comes and goes. Before spending $60 up for only a check-up, I'm hoping anybody knows what is wrong. Noise could be from somewhere else. I just don't know. Please help! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

obvious question

Did you check the level? Mine was squeaking and I found I was low on fluid.

put in some good quality power steering fluid with some additive for o-rings and such. this should take care of your problem

all ford ps [or P.o.S :) ] pumps suck...they all have that whine... like others said put in very good quality ps pump fluid and hopefully the noise will go away

Some in-out play is normal, even on a newly rebuilt P/S pump. Put in some power steering fluid pump additive for squeals (ask at your local auto parts store).. Are you sure it's coming from the P/S? It may be your cooling fan clutch. Also Ford P/S pumps a notoriously loud, but it is more like a constant whine than a squeal. Does the sound change when you increase engine RPMs?

Thanks for the responses. I replaced the fluid 3 times. Twice with additives. It still makes noise. Maybe not from the PS. The noise comes from that area. Noise is constant, does not increase or decrease with speed. It goes on n off. It is definitely a 'squeaking' noise. Very similar to loose belt.

did you drain all of the fluid out. If you have an air pocket in the line, It will do the same noisy thing. Most fords I have owned have had the whine in the power steering pump. The lower on fluid it gets the worse the noise. Yeah it sounds like it could be a slipping belt too. Make sure you don't have any oil or anything on any pully that the belt could slip on.

andy

What year and model explorer, LUIS? Do you have Air conditioning. It is mounted right above the P/S pump on early models. When the a/c clutch goes, it squeals pretty loud. Try to isolate where the noise is comming from. It is difficult to trouble shoot your problem if you are not certain of the problem itself. Get a used paper towel roll (the cardboard) hold one end to your ear and the other to various components you think is making noise. Watch out for the fan and belt espectially if you have long hair or loose clothing.

Thank you ALL. I took my car to my mechanic (not dealer, of course). Since he did not have the time to check throughly that day, I'm taking my car in on Thursday. He spent about 15 min trying to find the cause of the noise w/o success. Used to make the noise anytime, but for some reason, most of the noise occur when the engine is cold now. Hopefully he can find the cause. If he does, and the noise is fixed, I'll let all of you know for future reference. I haven't try the paper roll method yet. I'll definitely try it and hopefully I can find the cause. Thanks!!!

Any updates? I just had a rebuilt PS put in and its been squealling every since I got it home. I will try the fluid and additive this weekend.

Back