My Header 'Problem'

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Ok, well my problem is at the collector I get a sound sounding like a sprinkler on both sides, as I accelerate it gets faster and faster of a ticking. Midas says it's probably drivetrain noise, but my mechanic friends are saying it's not. Does anybody know if flipping the bolts on the Y-pipe will do anything? Right now the bolt heads are facing the ground and the nuts are facing the headers. Should I flip these around or is this not likely the problem? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see how flipping the bolts would help. Does the connection you are talking about use a gasket or not?

No, this is where the headers connect to the Y-pipe. They just slip into the pipe.

I don't know. Is the pipe lined up and tightned even on both bolts? Maybe it's rusted out.

For sure not rusted, I may check the alignment tomorrow. It looks like one side is over more than the other on each connection.

huskyfan23

i installed my headers on my truck too. JBA ceramic coated, and after all was said and done, i have that ticking sound as accelerate too. one of my friends who is quite the performance truck guru, said it is one of 2 things, either your lifters are going bad, or there is an air leak ( bad sealing job ) where your new header mounted to the head but being that it wasn't there 2 minutes before the start of putting them on, and that he helped me install them, then it has to be an air leak. i wouldn't fret too much about it. if it really bothers you that much, pull the header off and seal it up real good. oh yeah, don't forget to make sure that the gasket that came with the headers is overlapping the ports for from the head, cuts back on flow, and also might be the problem for the noise. hope this helps.

Well it really sounds like it's at the collectors. There are no leaks around the actual headers and they were on there tight and all. I'm just getting ready to go out there and reposition the y-pipe to see if that makes a difference.

You got a piece of hose you can put between your ear and where you think the leak is? I have a little exhaust leak somehere too. I can hear it when I drive down an alley.

If they are JBA headers then they use the ball joint type flange at the Y pipe to headers. Notorious for this leak, also DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS!!!!!!!!otherwise you will bend the flange and the leak will never go away.

I ahve the same leak, been there for years, once a year or so I will seal it up with some exhaust sealant putty or red silicoln, only last for alittle while though. Live with it.

also You can play with the y pipe a little to see if you can seal it up, no go on my truck, I have a custom Y pipe I had made (dont ask)

Also it is the nature of headers to sound different from your stock exhaust manifold so if you just had them put on it could be you just need to get used to it???
If it is a ticking sound then try to locate the leak.
Do a visual inspection of the flanges before messing with the Y pipe as it can be a real PITA to position that sucker right...........especiually since it usually requires a ratchet from the engine bay and a wrench from underneath (2 people)

Good luck!!!!!!!!

My leak just gives my truck more personality, or at least that s what I tell myself.......

Here's a question. Should the flanges on the y-pipe to the headers snug to each other? My headers are the slip-in type where the collectors slip into the y-pipe. I'm thinking maybe they aren't slipped in at the right angle so that may be the cause. Anyways, should the flanges be touching or is it normal that they don't? Mine don't BTW.

Hey, I recently instlled Borla headers and the noise almost drove me INSANE! I thought that it was a lifter tap at first. Then I located several leaks and repaired them. However, the Pinging is still there and its not going away. I even tried wrapping the Y pipe (where the noise is amplified) to no avail. Lately, Ive hardly noticed it.:rolleyes:

When I notice something, I notice it forever. I've been told by some this is a normal sound, and from others that it's a leak. From what I know and IMO, it's a leak. I haven't had my header bolts retightened yet, not sure if I have to since they're locking. All I'm thinking is the y-pipe flanges don't work well and the pipes only fit one way to get rid of the sound. I'm wondering if I get the pipes welded to the y-pipe if that will fix it. What I've seen in many headers, non-shorty, is the flanges connect completely and have nothing showing in between.

WHAT brand headers??????????????

Borla? (sound like Borla)

If you weld it you cant get the Y pipe off without disconnecting both headers = PITA to do anything really........

Yeah, Borla. You'd think a company this respected would have better quality or easier fitting headers. If you look at their site they retail for $700something. I e-mailed them weeks ago asking about the leaks and haven't heard anything from them. This weekend I may remove the Y-pipe and try to readjust it. I'm pretty sure the flanges are now overtightened, or they can't be tightened any more at least. I'm getting pretty tired of this y-pipe situation. Is there some way around this? Maybe turnouts?

you can weld them. as 410Fortune said, it does make it a pain in the @ss if you ever have to pull the motor, or remove the Y pipe to get to the tranny/etc. the "ball and socket" collectors we have are really tricky to get bolted on without leaking. its not the headers, its the collector design. i dont remember the torque spec, but its not as much as you would think. overtightening them will make them leak.

Back