JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com

Well, i'm going to go ahead and start a thread so i can get some information and some more ideas from everyone on here. I bought a Dana 30 off of a wrecked 95 XJ. Paid $200 pulled off the truck for me. Not to bad. Ordered 4.56 gears for the 8.8 and D30 from Randys Ring and Pinion for about $450. I just picked up a Powertrax Lockrite for the D30 last week. I'm trying to install that right now, but it's going to be a pain. I had the gears in the D30 installed last week for $150. I couldn't believe that price! Mom and my brother went in and got me some diff. rock guards for Christmas from Ronscustomshop.bigstep.com. He cut them a deal for buying 2 at a time.

Here are a few pictures of what i've got so far. Please feel free to jump in and give me some advice. I'm not 100% sure what Cory has in mind. So Cory, you jump in and feel everyone, including me, in on what we are looking at here!

2287im000812.jpg

2287im000813.jpg

2287im000814.jpg

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats right Robb, i'd rather it broke at home then at Tellico! But yes i am a nut:D

Yeah it's sitting level. I just got done cranking up on the coil springs, so it moved those. I have enough for flex. Where the braded line meets the hard line, it's just zip tied up there, so if it pulled hard enought it would come free.

When do we get to see some action shots of yours?

Thanks Doc. I'm very happy with it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I decided to put it on the fork lift today to see how much room i've got. And at this position:

Attachments

• im000942.jpg
    im000942.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 758

This is the kind of clearance that i have with my lines. As you can see, my limiting straps are going to do me no good, cause i've might have 1 inch of coil left in the bucket. But when i hold the straps to the bolts, before i put it on, it was going to be tight, so cory and i decided to move it down a bolt hole, which is what i did up top. Doesn't make any sense to me. Even the brake line didn't move very much.

Attachments

• im000941.jpg
    im000941.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 710

Sorry, I didn't read through the whole list, but is Cory going to offer a kit? If so, when can I order it?

Originally posted by Xplodor
Sorry, I didn't read through the whole list, but is Cory going to offer a kit? If so, when can I order it?

He's working on a kit right now. He's not sure of exactly when it will be ready. I'm sure he'll post here once it's done.

If he can get a guinea pig up to his shop, he's also going to make a coilover kit. That's what I would like, but I live too far from Louisville... :(

Just curious, why did you only put in a D-30 up front? Why not something a little beefier like a 44?

Originally posted by Gonzo
Just curious, why did you only put in a D-30 up front? Why not something a little beefier like a 44?

Go back to page 1 of this thread. He tells why there.

what size heims did you use for the track bar?

Small ones. Honestly i have no idea what size. How do you measure them? I'll go out and measure for you.

Kits

Cory,

Any idea on when you'll have a coilover kit ready? What about this kit, is it ready to be sold. Please advise! :)

Xplodor D44 SAS

Re: Kits

Originally posted by Xplodor
Cory,

Any idea on when you'll have a coilover kit ready? What about this kit, is it ready to be sold. Please advise! :)

[/URL]

I have one coilover planned for later this summer, but until then, nothing.

Hey Cory,

When you build it, let me know the estimate, then you can just make the parts side by side. Thanks!

35's on a D30 -- carry over from the SAS discussion

JoshC-
Headed the SAS route and I have a few questions:

1. Got a master parts/price list? I'd be really interested!

2. Any problem w/ 35's ... I've got a 2K Ranger running the MT 10.5x32's w/ 4 inch Superlift no problem. The only warning they all keep mentioning is shaft breakage w/ high torque on a D30... You may have mentioned this, but have you replaced the shafts? Are you locked front and back? Hubs manual or vaccumm? Still got the Ford 8.8 in the rear?

thanx man!

I don't really have a price list. I just kind of got all the stuff i need by reading other peoples threads. But when the time comes i'll be more then happy to help you.

Pricing really depends on which route you go, coils or leafs and who does the install for you. Since i had cory do mine, it cost more then if i were to do it myself (obviously) but i didn't have the equipment or time to do it. Typically these swaps range from 3k-5k on average.

The only problem i've had with my swap in general is the trac bar and that problem is fixed now. I still have my stock shafts for the time being. I've read things about shaft breakage, but i don't have high torque and i don't drive like a mad man off road. I like to stick it low, 1st gear and crawl. And yes i am locked from and rear with the 8.8 in the rear with 4.56s. The axle still has the vacuum setup on it, but i used vacuum caps to hold the shift fork in the locked position.

spline on the 8.8

interesting... I think that an HP 30 or 35 w/ coils would be the best bet.

I've read some interesting things about taking a HP35, customizing it with D44 U's, and using that.

What about the steering box?

One other question, to "safely" run 35's, its recommended to have the higher spline 8.8. Did you guys swap the shafts, or does the Xploder have the higher spline?

mb

Xploder is 31 spline and will run 35s no problem.

your talking solid axle Front d35?

i didnt know it existed. i think d35 is rear for wranglers and front ttb and ifs for stock explorers.

to build up a d30 your talking $ but the inital investment and convienience is a big plus. if you have the money you might as well go d44 right off the bat.

explorer has higher spline count (31) ranger has lower (28) and will handle 35s with ease.

youll need one. many will work. most are using early ex or ranger boxes which are also the same as f-150. youll need to get new pressure hose and thats about it.

Re: spline on the 8.8

Originally posted by DrKlawz
Forget about the steering box. Go full hydro steering like Michael did on his Red Bull Explorer.

Attachments

• michaels.red.bull.jpg
    michaels.red.bull.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 384

What are the advantages of a full hydro setup?

Back