Xplodor D44 SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Xplodor D44 SAS

Hey everyone! I'm going to start gathering my parts needed for my SAS. My first question relates to the axle. I need to get a D44 Reverse Rotation correct? I may buy it from Currie, so does anyone know what the dimensions need to be? I'm sure it needs to be cut, but I don't know to what size.

Attachments

• frontaxle.jpg
    frontaxle.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 319

You don't need a reverse cut setup, especially if you are on the road more than off of it.

Need to know a lot of things before you pick out an axle.

How much wheeling are you going to be doing?
What size tires do you want to run?
What motor do you have?
What tranny (auto or manual)?
What are the local laws with fender coverage of the tires?

Those will help a lot with picking out an axle. You may find you don't even need a custom one from Currie or Dynatrac.

Thanks for the responce Cory, here are the answers:

How much wheeling are you going to be doing? -Once I do the conversion, at least twice a month. Right now I only wheel about once a month in fear of breaking parts on the IFS. I goto places like Truckhaven, Big Bear, the Sierra's, and want to do Moad and the Rubicon soon.

What size tires do you want to run? -I heard the Xterrains came out with a 37" tire. That's as big as I'll go, and will probably upgrade to them as soon as the swap is done. I would like the extra clearance.

What motor do you have? -I have the 4.0 SOHC. It was a very strong motor until my last trip to Truckhaven. I hydrolocked. I took it to my mechanic and he cleaned EVERYTHING out and replaced a lot of the sensors. It has lost a little power, but I'm thinking of motor upgrades in the future after the swap, possible a Supercharger.

What tranny (auto or manual)? -It's the 5 speed auto tranny w/ traction control.

What are the local laws with fender coverage of the tires? -It's So Cali, so it's very strickt. I'm going to be going with Perrys glass fenders, so it won't be a problem.

I'd say that an EB D44 with Warn alloy shafts and CTM joints would be perfectly fine for running the 37s.

A lot of people have this misconception that you HAVE to have a reverse cut front axle, but you don't. It will be appx. 30% stronger, but what is that worth to you in terms of dollars?

Early Bronco guys run them and we've seen some of the things they do with them. They are plenty strong enough.

So if you can find a 76-77 Early Bronco axle you will have discs and a D44. You won't need to cut it down. Then just get wheel adapters for the rear to match the front bolt pattern. You could also get the radius arm suspension and put it together fairly easily if you can fab.

Back