• Register Today It's free!

Front Bench seat modification

bbrjj

Reaction score
City, State
Findlay, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
A while back I had seen a article about someone removing foam rubber, cutting and re-sewing fabric on the front 60/40 split bench, thus making it into a bucket seat. Has any one done this or know of the link that I may have seen this? I can't seem to remember where I saw it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't know the Explorers could come with a front bench seat. Hmmm, learn something new every day :)

Yes, my son did it on his Ranger (basically the same 60/40 style). You need an Exacto knife (for the foam) and a good hack-saw or a dremel (that's what he used).
Basically take the seat out, and you will have to undo a bracket underneath to loosen the right side fabric. Then peel back the fabric cover and cut ..Very Neatly with a SHARP knife....the foam. There is a metal sub frame that can be cut backwith the dremel.Take the excess fabric, test ..many times before you cut it..to see how much to cut and the tuck it under and replace the bracket. His looks real nice, and allows a 2nd gen Ex console to fit perfectly in there (he has a Sub box in there with a 10" MTX. I have seen others that did not do it so neatly, but solved that by fitting neoprene seat covers on them.
Looks Good Works well.

Hey Black Magic,
I put a picture up I 'borrowed' off of Ebay. These are the style of seats that my 93 has, different color but same style.
As you can see, it would be better to trim the seat & make it a bucket & add a console.

kps36: So it is fairly easy & straight forward modification huh?
Just take my time and 'Measure twice & cut once'?

What year of Ranger does your son have? Did he use a console from a 95-99 explorer?

It is a 95 Ranger XLT w/standard cab...so you dont have alot of room to begin with and he wanted to expand his 'system'. Yeah it is fairly easy and straight forward, but my pucker factor was high b/c if you f'up it's off to the bone yard for another.
Just remove the seat completely and on a nice day put it upside down on a park bench and study. You don't really have to take the swing down armrest off but his was broken so 'away it went'.
DEFINITLY...'measure 2x, cut once'
and even if you get knife happy those neoprene covers look and fit nice.
Good Luck !

Oh, he didn't put any console in there, but I took measurements and studied the 95 Ex I have (see sig) and it would be a slam dunk. He wanted an open area for the sub-box.

Back