8.8 axle gear swap info needed.

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
im new to the 8.8 rear. i know with the 9inch once you remove the axles the whole carrier comes out. the 8.8 has a cover. so once the axles and covers removed what steps need to be taken to remove the center section to take it and have the ring and pinion gear set up on it. or isnt the 8.8 that easy? also i know that 4:10's arent quite low enough with 33's and 4:56's are a little low. so with no happy meduim i only do around town driving and little highway but im noticing on highway and upgrades my 3:73's kinda do suck so highway is where i want to gain. so which to use? gas mileage isnt a problem for me. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So want are you wanting to go lower between 4.10 and 4.56. I think they made 4.30's. How does it suck on the highway no power?

i dont think they make 4:30's for 4wd. yeah ive been doing more highway driving and driving up some lengthy hills and i need to use passing gear alot. its not terrible but i just need some more juice.

4.30s dont come for the front end...

got 4.56's i got 4.10s and don't notice a huge difference over the 3.73's and im rollin on 33's

so your 4:56's isnt a huge difference? do you think id be better off going with a few engine mods and a cat bat system?

few Q's

I've got the same problem with having no power to the wheels. I'm running 3.55's with 33 X 12.5 MT's.. I want to go to a 4:56 but I'm not sure what is better. I was told by a mechanic that i should replace the whole rear housing if I wanted to do that. Problem being is that i dont want to have to buy new rims. Will the lug pattern change? I've also seen conversion kits to change the gearing over. Whats the cheapest and/or best way ...actually...i'm just looking for the options that i REALLy have .

I just ordered new Rockers and dog legs...new metal arrived...gotta start ripping out the rusted areas soon.

Thanks
Noel

I'd personally go with 4.56s or ever 4.88s. I've had 33s and i now have 35s and i think i'm gonna pass on 4.56s and go straight to 4.88s. I have 4.10s right now and they suck on the highway. When you regear you have to pull out the whole axle. the 8.8 isnt like the 9" where the 3rd member drops out. in the 8.8 the 3rd member is part of the axle housing. when you regear it doesnt affect anything other than the gears, you wont have to change your rims. as far as grinding down the cross pin i think it has to be ground down a little bit to add a little more clearance for the gears.

So Actually

So I can actually just get a regear kit, and nothing changes but the guts for the rear pumpkin?

Front too?

Having just wrote that.... Do i change the front end too? I would figure that when it goes into 4x4 I would want everything spinning at the same rate.

Basically. when you regear you change the gears or course but its also a good idea to get an installation kit. they come with, carrier shims, new bearings and seals. and if you have 4wd you will have to regear both the front and rear.

To Buy?

Where would i go to buy something like that. Assuming that I have 3.55's and want 4.56 gearing... anyone have a good site that they purchased from?

Thanks

ya ive heard a lot of good things about randys ring + pinion, right now im runnin 31's with 3.55 ratio. drags a bit on the highway, but honestly isnt that bad on gas, i usually drive at about 5- 10mph max over

31s and 3.55s is'nt to bad, its tolerable. I ran 33s for a while with 3.27s and that sucked. Im running 35s with 4.10s right now and its alright but i plan to upgrade to 4.88s this summer.

in 2 weeks here, i will have my 32s but will still be running 3.27 gears. i will be in the market for 4.10 or 4.56 gears (probably 4.10s would be better for me) if anybody is getting rid of some.

Randy's

WOW..

All i can say is I'm impressed. If any of you call Randy's ask for Dave. This guy was very cool, and extremely upbeat. I got a quote on EVERYTHING i need to do the job... and the price was very resonable from what i consider.

thanks for the link!

Hunter

You can get a modified 7/8" cross pin for like $30 or something, or you can modify yours to clear the gears just don't overheat the cross pin and weaken it. If you only do one axle at a time, I recomend removing the front driveshaft until you do the front gears. That will prevent you from "accidentially" engaging the 4x4 and dreaking stuff!

I personally think you should go with the 4.56. It will be benficial for towing and passing.

Back