SS Thorns vs. BF Mud Terr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SS Thorns vs. BF Mud Terr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BF Goodrich hands down. All I've ever heard is that thornbirds suck. Mud terrains are awesome if you can afford them.

Well I've got Thornbirds and I like them a lot. A lot of people bash them but it depends on what you are using them for. I've only used the Thorns for Tellico which is mostly rocks and they did great. I've heard they aren't too great in the mud because they get clogged very eas. I just bought the Thorns because I got them used and I need something right then. My next tires are going to be BFG M/T. I think they are a lot better and I'm sure most will agree with that.

I never tried thorns but I do like my M/Ts. I have 32x11.5 and have yet to get stuck in some good mud. On-road they are not nearly as noisy as I expected too. I've only had them for a couple thousand miles so I don't know about the tread wear yet.

Theoreticly, my BFG MTs would always have been holding up 45'000 miles or more before reaching the wear indicator. But usually at around 35-40 kmls, they became annoyingly (sp?) loud, started developing some not-so-good vibrations and it became a pain to keep them balanced. Therefore I normally got rid of them before they were legally bold. I rotated them about every 7500 miles which is important to get a good life out of them.

I just retired my every-day BFG MT. They have 35 kmls and still have between 1/4" and 5/16" thread left. (245/75-16, load index E). I will put them on cheap steelies and still use them for trail duties.

thornbirds suck in all conditions except looking good....

Originally posted by jimabena74
thornbirds suck in all conditions except looking good....
that in your opinion
what type of tire do you run?

No :p I'm just curious if he's ran Thornbirds or M/T's

i have no experience with Tbirds except in the mud. i can see how they would be decent/good on hard trails aired down, but in the mud they are literally comparable to anyone else's All Terrain. the BFG MT will outlast the Tbird on the street, ride alot better, roar alot less, and work better on a broader spectrum of terrain.

*not adding to the flame, and i personally believe you Travis. :) ive only seen/driven them in the mud.

Originally posted by james t
i have no experience with Tbirds except in the mud. i can see how they would be decent/good on hard trails aired down, but in the mud they are literally comparable to anyone else's All Terrain. the BFG MT will outlast the Tbird on the street, ride alot better, roar alot less, and work better on a broader spectrum of terrain.

*not adding to the flame, and i personally believe you Travis. :) ive only seen/driven them in the mud.
I understand what's you're saying. I think I'm going to have to find out this weekend how they do in the mud. :D I have A/T also and they're not the greatest in the mud so I guess I'll have to sling some mud with my Thornbirds because I'm sure they will with those big knobs they have sticking out on the side.

arroyo2.gif
arroyo1.gif

I personally ran 32" TSL-SXs on the trail, and I loved them enough to get another set. The problem is the tread compound was so soft, they gripped the pavement more than I was comfortable with (for a daily driver tire), and they eventually began to roar at around 15,000 miles. I had to sell them at 22,000 miles (just before they went bald all around). Swampers are wonderful tires, but the Thornbird was intended as their 1st generation All/Terrain tire - Now, there's the STS line. I wonder how long these new tires last on the pavement???
-Ken

Back